HybridZ

Exposed's 1jz Build

It would be better to figure out what is going on before just throwing parts at it. Visually firing coils using an inline spark tester is super easy and will answer soooo many questions.

I went with the 1ZZFE smart coils. They are awfully tall, but they throw a good spark, cheap, and available used or new. 

found the causes of the weak spark, it turned out to be due to using two different brand harnesses, and one of the harnesses had one incorrect pin for the ignition system, the second reason was due to the igniter needing a better ground. The car is running but i need to upgrade my fuel pump now.

• 3 weeks later...

Got my car back from the tuners! Happy with the numbers considering everything i found out.

Starting my fenders. Looking for some honest feedback and opinions. couple things right off the bat that i dislike and im sure ill revise the design of the fenders abit.

15289380905881056786464528054315.jpg

15289380446637719937459209622462.jpg

15289405740957674759344337369928.jpg

Edited by Exposed
More pictures

^I'll have to agree, I've begun to see the ones without the fenders past the body line as wrong now, they just look like they are sitting too low.

Granted those don't look like the standard flares.

I can appreciate the non circular flares for the front where with low off set wheels and turning it is required, but in the rear it looks a bit off.

@softopz ended up making 300whp and torque was at 280, that was at 6500rpm. I was limited due to my fuel system, it'll be one of the next things upgraded.

@Ereschkigal @seattlejester thanks for the feedback, shortly after taking those pictures I ended up pulling the fenders further away from the body of the car in order to lengthen them a bit. I like how they sit a little better, i'll need to see if they hit or pass that body line a bit later today. The non circular flares were bugging me they just didn't look right, ended up cutting them up going to be attempting to make them more circular. 

20180612_201438.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, seattlejester said:

Quite subtle, I dig it.

Could you verify the measurement from the firewall to the trans adapter or bell housing or something when you get the chance?

Sorry I completely forgot to do that 😅. Will get that for you late today.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Havent posted in a while so here's a bit of an update. After finishing the rear flares I ended up driving the car for the remainder of the summer and was orginally planning of doing the front flares this winter. Long story short I've decided I'm going to pull the car completely apart again and fix all the "little" things that have been bugging me. The current plan is to weld up all the extra holes in the fire wall, address any rust I find, fix up my panel gaps, then try finishing up with a new intake plenum and possibly some air suspension. Kicking myself in the ass for not doing it sooner.

The gap between my door and rocker panel that the previous owner(s)? did is pretty rough, I'll be honest a little worried to see whats behind it. Was looking at either getting a replacement from Tabco or getting one bent up.

20180930_002546 (1).jpg

20180930_193440.jpg20181105_093753.thumb.jpg.7d4ad875d685ee1b19541f3212f80ddc.jpg

Edited by Exposed

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
23 hours ago, joa_taste said:

How goes it?

Wondering how youre liking your r888's?

Also have you thought about upgrading your half shafts yet to CV axles? Wondering what you were thinking about running.

sadly its slow going with the Z. Its either we're swamped with work trying to catch up or we're swamped with trying to find work to keep my guys going.

For the little I've driven my car since I put the rubber on I'm enjoying them, when they heat up I have no complaints. I don't have many km's on them and I highly doubt I'll be driving my Z this year as I tore it apart through out the winter and haven't had a chance to put it back together. I'll need to get a post going sometime soon. 

I was thinking of doing upgrading this year while the car in tore apart but haven't looked much into which route I'd take. You thinking of making the switch soon? if you are which donor are you thinking of going with?

21 hours ago, Exposed said:

sadly its slow going with the Z. Its either we're swamped with work trying to catch up or we're swamped with trying to find work to keep my guys going.

For the little I've driven my car since I put the rubber on I'm enjoying them, when they heat up I have no complaints. I don't have many km's on them and I highly doubt I'll be driving my Z this year as I tore it apart through out the winter and haven't had a chance to put it back together. I'll need to get a post going sometime soon. 

I was thinking of doing upgrading this year while the car in tore apart but haven't looked much into which route I'd take. You thinking of making the switch soon? if you are which donor are you thinking of going with?

All good bro. Sometimes putting these projects on the back burner is a good thing. It’s looking really good tho.

hmm I’m excited for these r888s tho. I can’t wait to see what the hype is all about. 

I have looked around and sourced out a few options. I think the Mark Nickel adapters with the OEM stylnCV axles from the Z31T are the route I’m going to go.

I watched a ZED video of a couple doing a swap on their LSX Datsun on YouTube and was kinda turned off they had to notch their control arms because the adapters were too large. This was with the DSS cv axles.

wolf creek I heard wont support high HP. I mean I’m not crazy in the numbers but I don’t want to do things twice if later in life I get crazy.

but I’ll definitely post what I do in my thread if I go the z31T route.