HybridZ

Exposed's 1jz Build

I'm not really sure the material, the hose ends are for sure aluminum. The adapters don't feel like steel pieces from what I've seen, so I would assume aluminum as well. 

My guess is the material mismatch can cause fittings to get loose? Perhaps the different rate of expansion or something of that nature? 

8 minutes ago, seattlejester said:

I'm not really sure the material, the hose ends are for sure aluminum. The adapters don't feel like steel pieces from what I've seen, so I would assume aluminum as well. 

My guess is the material mismatch can cause fittings to get loose? Perhaps the different rate of expansion or something of that nature? 

Yeah, that's exactly what happens. 

Combining aluminum and steel also leads to galvanic corrosion. This will treat the aluminum as an anode and start corroding.

If you ever have to run a steel bolt through an aluminum piece, make sure there is some sort of coating around the aluminum so that the two metals aren't actually in contact.

For further reading: https://www.galvanizeit.org/design-and-fabrication/design-considerations/dissimilar-metals-in-contact

For the past little bit I was bouncing back and forth between the idea of cutting up the body and adding flares or leaving them as is. I had bought myself a set of diamond racing wheels but they ended up rubbing on the caliper after switching to wilwood calipers. So instead of running a little spacer I figured I'd just waste money on a proper set of shoes.
Placed an order and the guys did a great job on the barrels and the refinish, the wheels came out amazing! now I just need to find or make a decent set of flares to go with it. 

IMG_0469.thumb.jpg.0e096f67c6ded8bc1e3d80872f519ba9.jpg20180307_161321.thumb.jpg.ec688ae031fa9b52d155b53569f587c5.jpg

And just when I thought winter was over, BAM a blizzard hits....

hi-cdn-snowstorms-852.jpg.8e7c647d797da8d456da91ddde4db338.jpg

Edited by Exposed
typo

I believe the person I dealt with was Tony, has a shop called Love20Bee. 

I checked the marugen flares out. Noticed they have a couple different styles the only thing is I cant seem to find any sizing on these. Will need to do some searching and post what I find out.

20180307_161355.thumb.jpg.e29547c89adb7267a05531efca6abd54.jpg

Those look so good! I've always loved 3 piece mesh wheels. SSR Formula and the Southern Way Epsilons are so good. I've been considering pretty much the same scheme you went with but have never been able to mentally commit to cutting for flares so I'd probably do it under stock flares with narrower wheels. 

Great purchase! Excited to see how they look once the whole thing is on the ground. 

7 hours ago, Zetsaz said:

Those look so good! I've always loved 3 piece mesh wheels. SSR Formula and the Southern Way Epsilons are so good. I've been considering pretty much the same scheme you went with but have never been able to mentally commit to cutting for flares so I'd probably do it under stock flares with narrower wheels. 

Great purchase! Excited to see how they look once the whole thing is on the ground. 

I know where your coming from, I've been trying to prepare myself to cut the fenders up. I'm probably going about it all wrong though, I haven't committed and buying wheels like this....

That's also why I wanted to try making some metal flares and keeping it looking stockish

Edited by Exposed

Those wheels look real nice!

Per our conversation, and since this thread is becoming quite useful.

Do you have any additional photos of the CD009 transmission fitment? I think my engine is a little bit further back then yours, but it would be nice to know if you have to bash out the trans tunnel or anything to fit it. My R154 is kind of floating with pretty minimal room to spare, wondering how the seemingly bigger CD009 fairs.

Just now, seattlejester said:

Do you have any additional photos of the CD009 transmission fitment? I think my engine is a little bit further back then yours, but it would be nice to know if you have to bash out the trans tunnel or anything to fit it. 

I agree, those wheels look great! I would be interested in seeing the fitment in the trans tunnel with that CD009 as well as my car just got dropped off with my Fab guy to do other work. I'm sure the original mounting tabs in the trans tunnel had to be cut.

2 hours ago, seattlejester said:

Do you have any additional photos of the CD009 transmission fitment? I think my engine is a little bit further back then yours, but it would be nice to know if you have to bash out the trans tunnel or anything to fit it. My R154 is kind of floating with pretty minimal room to spare, wondering how the seemingly bigger CD009 fairs.

If you're coming from an R154 what rear end ratio are you using? The CD009 is an excellent match to the stock 3.5ish ratio the longnose R200 usually came with. If you're using or plan to use a short nose the 4.XX ratios line up better with the R154 and T56 type transmissions

Having to cut the ears on the early Z would be a bit of a bummer. Part of me likes the thought of being able to go back to stock.

Yes please if you have any shots of how the transmission sits in the tunnel, or how you ended up mounting the cross member. 

I think I have a 3.7 or a 3.545 ring and pinion it was from a non LSD 300zx turbo. Looks like a 3.545 is stock.  I will say the gearing feels pretty right right now with the R154, but the thrust washer is something on my mind. Not sure if the CD009 will feel the same way a bit too high until I go even lower.