HybridZ

CV kit for STI R180

mwn2

Just put the shaft length in the middle and there will be more than enough plunge to compensate either way. 

All I'm really saying is to for Joe, or zcardepot, or DSS, to say this.  And this is just a single point.  I asked about materials to zcardepot in a different thread and he answered.  But, before I asked, his was just another "kit" from an unknown person who may or may not know what they're doing.  Like Senza Pari, or Datsun Parts Limited (aka California Datsun).

The same questions keep coming up and we, the forum members, all answer them in terms of what "should be".  Just pick the middle and you'll be fine.  But the guys making the parts just make a list of parts, some pictures, and a horsepower rating.  At least DSS took out the crazy stuff from their ad copy.

Just trying to clarify some things. Surprisingly difficult to do.

He is not on the forums that much. I will tell you that when I shut down my diff parts biz I talked to him at length several times about the CV binding issues. I sent him the technical drawings for my shorter Z31 shafts that I was making and he continued to make them. He is well aware of the CV binding issue. His 930 kit is something that I tried to get done to no avail, and we talked at length about that as well, and he incorporated the design changes that we talked about, which were specifically to allow for more plunge, into his design. If he says it fits S30s, I wouldn't doubt it. 

I understand your issue and your desires. But, I have never bought a single aftermarket part that didn't require tweaking, clearance get, de-burring, repainting, etc. Best get used to it. Tell you what, you buy the DSS kit and I will buy the CF kit and we can compare notes and let's write a product comparison thread. We'll partner up. I will buy Joe's kit after I get my lifts in, so maybe this summer. You willing to put up some money on this and let's get it done?

Hi, im all new to this z stuff !!! But, what Ive have done with my Z is my choice and was one of my dreams that I have made reality!!! Joe at modern has supplied me with an axle kit that has  held up to my Z's power . First off, I own a 78 280z with stock suspension beside the poly bushings upgrade all around . My car made 509hp to the wheels with a small block chevy from Morgan and Son race engines out of Grand Prairie Texas. I also choose to spray my car with a 300 shot of nitrous flowed and tuned by Steve Johnson from Induction Solutions out  Florida, also I leave off the trans brake on the bottle with slicks and car has not failed in the cv shaft kit that was built and supplied by JOE at Modern Motorsports. My car has had great success on street and I will soon be taking it to the track very soon and I will promise you all I will try to leave on everything iI have to test the durability of Moderns design and durability!!. I gave Joe 3 measurements and axles took about 2mths to arrive at my house , kit literally bolted in .... The axle kit is Joes best and strongest made along with the machined billet stubs to the diff is all billet and a crazy 39 spline shaft it self!!!!

Kfed with the "ShitBoxZ"

Edited by kfed280z

I am going to wait for rebekahsZ review ...I always found it very slippery when somebodies first post in a forum is a review of somebody elses products.

Not to say your lying Kfed....i just know rebekahZ will tell us straight up ....good or bad.

I am going to wait for rebekahsZ review ...I always found it very slippery when somebodies first post in a forum is a review of somebody elses products.

Not to say your lying Kfed....i just know rebekahZ will tell us straight up ....good or bad.

Hmmmmm....its all good !!! Ill just get some vids so I can make believers out of even you... B)

https://youtu.be/seiiTXUH7so

Edited by kfed280z

Hi what you are missing is a whole lot of parts.

Joe

In all seriousness..   I am not entirely familiar with CV conversions and this thread actually sparked my interest in going CV's when I finish my build.   So maybe in layman's terms can you explain why there is a big price difference from your setup versus the DSS .. other than the R180 vs R200 setup?

Joe's kit has the 39 spline stub axle, flange and inner R200 stub

DSS has the 300m R180 inner stub for the STI R180 diff, but does not include the stub axle and companion flange.

Both use a 930cv design but it's unknown what DSS does for the inner cage and star gear. Joe's cage and star use 300m.

Now the 39 spline part of Joe's kit is probably the most expensive part of his kit. 

Stub axle is 830

Companion flange is unknown but either around 440-540 based around his other flanges. (Zcardepot sells their 39 spline companion flange for 699 for the 930cv)

Since it is a 930cv design there are plenty of manufactures out there that sell 300m cages and stars to replace whatever you break. A complete kit of 300m parts usually runs 930+ bucks.

Edited by CableSrv

Joe's kit has the 39 spline stub axle, flange and inner R200 stub

DSS has the 300m R180 inner stub for the STI R180 diff, but does not include the stub axle and companion flange.

Both use a 930cv design but it's unknown what DSS does for the inner cage and star gear. Joe's cage and star use 300m.

Now the 39 spline part of Joe's kit is probably the most expensive part of his kit. 

Stub axle is 830

Companion flange is unknown but either around 440-540 based around his other flanges. (Zcardepot sells their 39 spline companion flange for 699 for the 930cv)

Since it is a 930cv design there are plenty of manufactures out there that sell 300m cages and stars to replace whatever you break. A complete kit of 300m parts usually runs 930+ bucks.

Thank you for taking the time to reply and the detailed information..

But I have to ask...  DriveShaft Shop has this in the description..

"Datsun 510 / 240Z with R180 differential 108mm CV conversion kit with 108mm flanges and diff stubs. This set of axles replaces the factory u-joint style axle shaft with a CV type axle using 6-bolt Porsche style 108mm CV joints on both ends and our chromoly diff stub flanges. The kit includes 2 rear axles, 2 billet conversion plates to mount the 6-bolt CV to the factory 4-bolt flanges both diff stubs and all necessary mounting hardware."

I must be missing something important?

ra5200l5_2_.gif

nipl-6_zpsfeeecb6a_3.jpg

108-su-i-27_1.jpg

You mentioned DSS does not include the stub axle and companion flange...  but I see it pictured and in the description?    The conversion plate is essentially a conversion shaft ADAPTER correct?

Wolf Creek Racing has the same setup for $900.  Described as a complete bolt in?

http://www.wolfcreekracing.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=72&Itemid=61

CV_Axle_Kit_A.jpg

Sorry if I'm dense..  but I still dont get it.

You are not seeing a stub axle and companion flange you are seeing a INNER stub axle which plugs into the R180 diff. The Outer stub axle and companion flange is not present in DSS's kit

This is the outer stub axle and companion flange 

https://zcardepot.com/image/cache/data/axle-900x900.jpg

This is what your wheel bolts too and what mates your axle to the wheel. The thing you are seeing in DSS's picture is an adapter plate used to convert the 930cv 6 bolt flange to the stock datsun 4 bolt companion flange and the Inner stub axle that connects to the STI R180 diff.

Joe's kit includes the entire set of 39 spline stub axle and companion flange aka the 4 parts on the far left

http://nebula.wsimg.com/51ff37b895e4cba6ae370ed0dd1eee54?AccessKeyId=E0140F9B09881878CF3E&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

Also the DSS kit you linked is specifically for the Subaru STI R180 diff not the stock R180 in a datsun. The R180 in a subbie is a torsen LSD with snap ring style inner stub's. The R180 in a datsun is a bolt in stub. You cannot use the inner stubs between the 2 diffs. Which is why DSS offers a 300m stub to mate in the Subbie R180 diff. 

Edited by CableSrv

In this order is what you have on your rear end. The stuff in bold is what comes with each respective kit

wheel -> Stub axle -> Companion flange -> halfshaft -> Inner stub -> Diff

This is what Joe's kit looks like

(wheel) -> Stub axle -> Companion flange -> 930cv -> billet inner stub -> (Diff)

This is what DSS kit looks like

(wheel -> Stub axle -> Companion flange) -> adapter -> 930cv -> billet inner stub -> (Diff)

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got my kit a few days ago and was going to install it today... the DSS R180 subie kit does NOT fit a series one 240z! The axles are to long.

While in the air and the wheels off and the suspension at full droop the axle has no ability to slide. Upon lifting the A-Arm to normal squat, the CV binds and never reaches normal squat. I now have to remeasure them and let them know how much they are off and they said they'll get me another set.

edit:

Even tho I have a series one 240z, I have already done the fix for the diff to move it back 1in using a later model mustache bar, and I'm also using the RT front diff mount. So my R180 should be sitting in the same exact spot as all other 240/260z's 

Edited by CableSrv