HybridZ

Toyota Caliper Question

I just got the Toyota S12w calipers for my 78 280 and was wondering which fitting you guys are using. Is there a difference or benefit to using the banjo style fitting? Also if you could let me know the thread size on what you bought that would help too. Thanks in advance.

The Toyota caliper was not machined for a banjo fitting. Consequently, the fitting will leak where it is attached to the caliper.

Options:

• There are several companies that sell stainless steel braided brake lines of the correct length and with the correct Datsun - Toyota fittings. Try Silvermine Motors in the Vendors section.
  • You can use A/N brake lines and an A/N-to-Toyota adapter to connect the Toyota calipers. This was my choice because I didn't want to rely on the availability of custom brake lines.

There are several discussions about Toyota brake lines in the Brake Forum. Recommend that you spend some time researching the Brake Forum before doing the swap.

Are you aware that you may have to go to a larger bore master cylinder with the S12W caliper swap?

Stock well maintained brakes are fine for a street car. Stay away from so called "street performance" brake pads as they don't work well cold. If your car is going to be a street or daily driver  you want a pad with good cold bite. Cold bite is what you need when a kid runs out in front of you. Quality stock brake pads work fine. See the Brake Forum for details on brake pads and brake swap balance issues.

Edited by Miles

Miles,

Thanks for the info. I have searched the posts, sometimes I find that there is too much and often conflicting information. I have the Wilwood M/C and am going with the 13" Earls performance brake lines from Summit. I just needed info on the fitting size into the caliper.

By what you've written above it's an AN fitting and just to be specific it's a -3 correct?

A generic AN line will not connect directly to the Toyota caliper. If you want to use a generic AN line, you'll need a 10x1.0mm male inverted flare to -3 or -4 AN fitting, depending on the size of your lines.

I've got one car with lines from Silvermine and one with generic AN lines and adapters. Both work well and have never leaked, but I'll second Miles and recommend adapters and generic lines for the same reason he did.

• 3 years later...

Good infos there....

Thats pretty much what i came up with....

Would just need to know the right length for braided lines....

Im about to order 12" lines for both front and rear wich i presume would be ok.....

Ill probably get those lines witht the 90 degree adapter at the end to connect to the calipers....

I just measured the front flex line. It is 14 inches.  

I have relocated the rear hard lines so the flex lines are not in the stock location. 

You can use a coat hanger to mock up and  estimate the length of the front and rear flex lines. After installing the flex lines move the suspension through the full range of motion and look for over stretch, kinking, rubbing etc of the flex lines.

Flex line kits are available for the Toyota and Maxima/240SX swaps. I prefer generic A/N lines because they are cheaper than the swap kits  plus I can get the parts from a local speed shop.

Silvermine Motors might have the flex lines for the Toyota/Maxima swaps.

Another tip when measuring for brake lines....if possible, add a couple extra inches to allow for the extra suspension travel when you drop the strut  and control arms to swap springs/shocks/etc.  Having a little extra length on the brake flex lines makes this job so much easier, especially on the fronts.

• Like 1