HybridZ

distributor: suggestions for new parts?

Michael

In hot pursuit of the no start/no spark problem of my big-block (454 Chevy) 280Z, I've decided to do an overhaul of my distributor. That leads to the following questions:

1) since I won't be revving the engine above 5500 rpm, do I need to worry about the stock or stock-replacement HEI unit losing voltage at high rpm?

2) is it worth to buy a complete distributor package, or to just replace the "guts"? Mechanically, the distributor shaft looks good.

3) what's a good aftermarket brand?

4) I'd like both vaccuum and mechanical advance. But lots of otherwise good aftermarket units (e.g. Mallory Unilite) are apparently only vaccuum or mechanical - NOT both. Comments?

5) What's a good general reference (book) on working on Chevy V8's, especially big blocks? I am not looking for books like "how to build your Chevy race engine" that talk about setting up dry sump systems or selecting forged vs. cast cranks. I'm looking for a book on stock maintainance of a Caprice or Suburban engine, that covers issues such as setting timing and specs on head bolt torque.

It's amazing how much "basic maintainance" remains to be done after the "building" phase is apparently over!!!

#3#4, If I had to do it all again I'd get the MSD distributor. Mallory unilite has come a long ways, but I like the MSD's pick up better than Unilite's expensive to replace eye. The Mallorys, when they say vacuum advance, have both mechanical and vacuum. Mechanical is w/o vacuum canister. Their mechanical adjustments used to be a flimsey tab, but have improved to two locking set screws on the distributor plate.

As long as your shaft is in great shape on the HEI why not just get a good aftermarket module, coil etc. The weights wear grooves on the pins on the HEI's advance causing rough advance curves. Some kits come with nylon bushings to eliminate wear. Look closely at that area.

JS