HybridZ

77 280z heater core removal

Hello guys, I am in the process of replacing the heater core on the 77 280z. I have removed just about everything but now I'm stuck on how to remove the cooper wire that goes into the heater valve. can someone tell me the best ware to remove it without damaging the cooper wire. it seems to be in the way of removing the side door to pull out the heater core. See the picture I have provided.

post-41703-0-24287200-1450136895_thumb.jpg

I just did this last month. There are two Phillips head screws holding that assembly (box that the copper wire goes to that you have circled in the phot) to the heater valve.

The best way that I found was to remove the whole valve assembly (requires disconnecting all the heater hoses) then gently pull the whole assembly down and out from under the dash being careful not to kink the copper line. This's allows you to get a better angle on the two Phillips screws ( which are normally a bit tough to break loose). After that, you should have no problems pulling the core out.

I would suggest replacing all of those hoses while you are down there as well as they often dry out and weep. Those hoses are hard to find direct replacements for at a reasonable price. What I did was go up to the local auto parts store (AutoZone, Advance, Oreilly, etc.) and ask to go through their heater hoses and find something that is close. I was able to find exact matches for two of them, and one that was close enough to trim and fit. I will see if I till have the part numbers for the ones I bought so you could just have them get you the same ones. I'm pretty sure still have the receipt somewhere.

Hope that helps.

Pillar

• 2 weeks later...

No problem.  Glad I could be of help :)

Were you able to get some hoses?  Black Dragon is a very good source for things like that.  The reason I went through the local store is because it ended up being quite a bit cheaper than BD just because they were off-the-shelf pieces that needed some minor cuts to fit perfectly.  I have not been able to find the part numbers (I should have just written them down when I bought them).  I plan to go back to the parts store and find the hoses again just so I can post them up for future reference.

Just found my receipt for the hoses I bought to replace the old heater hoses under under the dash.

Dayco part # B70873 for $6.99

Dayco part # A70001 for $5.99

Dayco part # B86050 for $10.99

All hoses were found off the shelf at AytoZone. I expect they can be found at any other major parts store.

Two were exact matches and one just needed to be trimmed down about 6 inches or so on one end.

I'll see about doing a write up for this job in the near future with photos of the hoses used and all, but for now, there are the part numbers.

Thanks!

Pillar