HybridZ

Looking at make an L24-ET

alexx933

So the white 77 that is my profile picture was turbo swapped. Stock computer and all. I sold her to a guy on base after I purchased my 73. Unfortunately, I really miss the turbo. It's addicting.

My 240 started carb'd and soon gave me headaches. Eventually I said screw it and installed Megasquirt. Best investment towards reliability. 

I have no numerical horsepower goals. The idea behind the turbo install is for the extra power. I don't autocross or road race. Just want a quick street car. Plus the sound is always a bonus. 

So my current set up:

L24 block

E88 head. Injector notches and holes drilled/tapped.

Stage 2 Schneider cam from MSA (previous owner installed) http://schneidercams.com/274FL6.aspx

EFI intake, 240sx TB with spacer

Pallnet style rail with ZXT injectors.

-6an lines and fittings from the surge tank and back. 

Mitsubishi Starion Fuel pump

Wideband without a gauge. Gauge could be installed for turbo applications

EDIS ignition with crank sensor. no distributor.

Ranger coilpack. 

MSA 2.5 inch exhaust from previous owner

4 speed trans. I have a 5spd that needs the case reinstalled before it can be swapped in.

3.90 Subie LSD with Wolfcreek axles

Twin electric fans 

I would like to keep the L24 but if a whole L28et showed up for cheap, oh well. I don't like the stock turbo cam though as it feels to run out of steam about 5000.

I have an intercooler, piping, and BOV from previous plans for the 77. I have a lead for an exhaust mani with external WG. He has a cheap ebay turbo too. Not sure I'd go that route, but I'm scrounging for pennies in the military. MSnS can control a EBC for me as I like the automated route. 

So what would you Z gods recommend as far as a turbo goes? I would like to keep the a/r around .63 as most people have good results. But I am open to suggestions. 

Sounds like the GT35R could be a good bet. http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/108922-exhaust-porting-worth-it/

Edited by alexx933

Just a few quick thoughts

With the e88 head isnt the compression going to be really high ??.. Lower compression means your able to boost higher..  Have which ever cylinder head you use ported. intake also.. Engine will need to breath...  You should look into 440cc injectors.. .

Look for an early non-egr intake, they look cleaner... GM air intake sensor for MS Unit..  I would look into using that ebay turbo, just to see if you like it.. You then can decide if you want larger or l smaller turbo.. Then get a good one.. 

3.90 gear may be too much for the 5spd trans.. I had one in my Nat-turbo Z and first gear was useless. Only in first gear for like 3 seconds.. Never driven a 4spd turbo z though....

This is how she looks right now. I need to move the IAT out in front of the TB to prevent heat soak. She runs pretty good right now. I will have her trailered to a dyno for tuning before street driving after the aspiration swap. 

My compression should be around 8.5:1 ish. It's high for an L series turbo, but I am alright with only running 6-10 psi. It's been shown that is an achievable number. 

I'd like to avoid the ebay turbo because I'm cheap. I would rather pay for a decent turbo upfront than pay for a cheap turbo AND a decent turbo because the first one failed. 

As for the rear end, it stays. I've already rid myself of the 3.36 r180. Right now I actually take off in second, get to speed (local speed limit is 45) and then granny shift. I only use 2 of the four speeds... 3 if you count reverse  B) The 5spd will be very helpful with an overdrive if nothing else. 

post-36377-0-68962800-1450157549_thumb.jpg

This is how she looks right now. I need to move the IAT out in front of the TB to prevent heat soak. She runs pretty good right now. I will have her trailered to a dyno for tuning before street driving after the aspiration swap. 

My compression should be around 8.5:1 ish. It's high for an L series turbo, but I am alright with only running 6-10 psi. It's been shown that is an achievable number. 

I'd like to avoid the ebay turbo because I'm cheap. I would rather pay for a decent turbo upfront than pay for a cheap turbo AND a decent turbo because the first one failed. 

As for the rear end, it stays. I've already rid myself of the 3.36 r180. Right now I actually take off in second, get to speed (local speed limit is 45) and then granny shift. I only use 2 of the four speeds... 3 if you count reverse  B) The 5spd will be very helpful with an overdrive if nothing else. 

So you are going to use a GT35R to make maybe 250hp at 10psi boost?  Did I miss something?

Seems like you have quite a bit of the parts.

The GT35R seems a bit large for keeping the PSI's down at that level. You would be dumping quite a bit of exhaust out of the waste gate. Maybe consider a smaller turbo? It would spool much faster and you wouldn't have to waste as much exhaust.

I have to agree the 3.9 is fairly short, I can't imagine boosting my car when it was NA running a 4.11, gears were so short that there would be no time for the boost to build.

I like the idea of using an ebay turbo to get a feel for the turbo sizing but my wallet doesn't. That's little gain for the money involved to basically try it out. 

Full boost around 3000 would be ideal. I liked the feel of the stock T3 in the L28et. 

If this engine will hold power up to 250... hell ya! I was just trying to get more opinions on different turbos for my application. 

Your requirements kind of put you at the smaller turbo sizing. It really depends on what you plan on doing. 

If money is that much of a consideration, why don't you just go with a rebuilt turbo from the L28et? It will put the motor comfortably up higher around 200ish, some room to grow especially with an intercooler and a boost controller, and you shouldn't be outflowing your injectors. You could buy the conversion down pipe which would be an additional savings.

I like the idea of using an ebay turbo to get a feel for the turbo sizing but my wallet doesn't. That's little gain for the money involved to basically try it out. 

Full boost around 3000 would be ideal. I liked the feel of the stock T3 in the L28et. 

If this engine will hold power up to 250... hell ya! I was just trying to get more opinions on different turbos for my application. 

Sorry I wasn't trying to be a jerk but the GT35r is a great turbo - IF your goals are for ~500 to 600 rwhp.  That's WAY too much for your goals and it actually won't work very well at all at lower boost/power levels.  

If you will truly be happy at 250hp,  then definitely stay with a smaller turbo that is sized for that.  Depending on your budget you could probably reach your goal with a fresh stock or stock-like turbo, or you might be able to do some pretty interesting things with some of the more modern designs that are becoming available.  

My friend just told me he has a precision T3.  This is what he has with compressor a/r of .60 and turbine a/r of .63. It would simplify the overall project. Just another T3. Should be the same DP that MSA carries. External gate that could either be introduced later to the exhaust or just dumped. 

Like you said Jester, the injectors should work adequately for this. I may eventually go L28 but this is what I have for now and engines aren't cheap nor plentiful in the southeast corner. PNWest coast is definitely best coast when it comes to Z cars.  

Tim, this is exactly why I asked! Sizing a turbo is somewhat daunting when I have little experience doing it. I had just read approving posts about the GT35r. Most of the posts I had read failed to mention the power they were throwing down though.