HybridZ

Cowl hood installed on 1976 280Z

Smyrna388Z

After a lot of work, I have finally got a cowl hood installed on my 280Z and wanted to share the results. Note: this hood is not a bolt on. Modifications were made to the front and rear of the scoop (personal preference), the front of the scoop was cut out, all four corners and the rear/back edge were glassed and shaped for improved body lines. The bracket attachment tabs were drilled, cut and spacers used to center the hood. I also cut material from the rear cross brace and filled with expandable insulation to add strength. I cut the material for a cleaner look and improved opening for cowl induction airflow. A lot of hours sanding, cutting and shaping gave me the rusults in the post. The paint is a brushed flat black from a 'rattle' can.

The hood was purchased from Robert through 280Zone@cox.net

post-18593-0-03246200-1450669124_thumb.jpeg

post-18593-0-12856200-1450669181_thumb.jpeg

post-18593-0-98260300-1450669203_thumb.jpeg

post-18593-0-19787500-1450669245_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Smyrna388Z

I always love an opportunity to go to the track, but note that Saturday nights at MCR is not a test and tune night. They race for points and there are a lot of classes. This means fewer passes down the track, a lot more waiting, and more money.

The better idea would be to have a 'Z' track night on Friday night, stay the night and attend ZAttack Saturday.

Friday night there is much more opportunity on the track and there are still some elimination races for fun and trophies. There is even a Gamblers race for a pot.

Lets try to do that.  Maybe you could recommend a cheap hotel nearby to crash in after we drag race, when the time gets closer.  Send me a message when you find out when ZAttack is and lets try to have more fun than the car shiners.  Lets have a show class for the car with the fastest Reaction time, fastest ET and most rubber gumballs deposited on the quarters panels.  To hell with best in show.  LOVE your new hood.  You win the prize for best hood.

Good eye! It is a Dixie horn.

No problems with high temps with the stock hood. I'll post if there are any differences with this setup. I found myself opening the stock hood in the staging lanes to let heat out. My plan is to relax in the car and keep this hood down.

I will also post an ET improvements that I get from the cowl induction of fresh cool air. It will be a few months before the tracks open. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...