HybridZ

LT1 or LS1 (not a debate guys)

I've been lurking on this site for almost 16yrs....always wanted a V8 powered datsun.(To me they just belong)..But with life, career,travel....life...i've always put it off.

Finally decided to pull the trigger and pick one up .....now comes the issue of what V8 to go with.

I'm very very familiar with the LS series motors, and how powerful/reliable they can be. but finding a good donor is sort of out of my range.

since i'll be attempting this swap myself....i kinda want to have the whole "donor" car there...where i can pick thru and grab everything i need/when i need it, which i wont get from the wreckers if i go the "LS" route...That's what makes the LT's so attractive to me!

i could even go with an LT from a Y body and start out with 300 hp...which is pretty healthy power for the S30 chassis( yes body is rust free)

ultimate power  goals in the coming years is to make between 500-600hp and i'm not averse to boost.

so what do you guys think?

stay with the easy LT choice or Go LS?

Then there's the question of Trans, the Datsuns a manual....i just think its a safe, fun can to go auto...(though i'd love the 5speed!) with the amount of torque and power vs weight of car, safety trumps.

choices, choices guys.....im open to and welcome all opinions.

Thanks!

stay with the easy LT choice or Go LS?

choices, choices guys.....im open to and welcome all opinions.

Thanks!

You've kind of killed your own thread before it could start - 

"(not a debate guys)"

debate: a formal discussion on a particular topic in a public meeting or legislative assembly, in which opposing arguments are put forward.

Probably aren't going too find many people that will tell you the LT1 is better than the LS1. One point in favor of the LT1 is that a T56 tranny set up for the LT1 is a lot cheaper. In terms of finding a donor vehicle, what about a truck with an iron block LS motor. Seems a lot of people are using that platform for turbos and/or boosting as well.

Probably aren't going too find many people that will tell you the LT1 is better than the LS1. One point in favor of the LT1 is that a T56 tranny set up for the LT1 is a lot cheaper. In terms of finding a donor vehicle, what about a truck with an iron block LS motor. Seems a lot of people are using that platform for turbos and/or boosting as well.

yeah joek, im leaning in that direction..been looking at a 6.0l and a 5.3....thinking about going with a 4l60e for trans too....

I was in the same boat you are in, looking to do a swap for less than 6000. including the price of a 1977 280Z. Picked up a wrecked 1994 Z28 with 79000 miles, with the 4L60e transmission for $1.500.00. Went with the JC V-8 Conv. Kit. 800.00. used the exhaust piping from the Z28, making a 3" single exit tail pipe with a Thrush Turbo muffler. I have put about 7000 miles on it this past year.post-45687-0-66334100-1451524470_thumb.jpg

post-45687-0-13601000-1451524445_thumb.jpg

post-45687-0-82298900-1451524497_thumb.jpg

Edited by hcarrickz3

Yeah based on the feedback i've already doubled my efforts to go LS, found a complete truck with an lq9 6.0,and an 4l80e....im going to make that trans fit, someone here already has it in an early s30 and he stated it fit surprisingly easy.

I'm just doing research now on what parts to source for the motor.

Somehow the pre-LS swap (which is to say, first-generation or second-generation Chevy V8s) has in recent years become rare.  Maybe this is because suitable donor-vehicles are becoming antiquated and rare.  For traditionalists, the main drawback of LS-series engines is having to deal with the electronics.  The aftermarket offers carburetor retrofit, but that defeats the cost-savings and comprehensiveness of using a donor-vehicle.  If indeed the only significant impediment is widening the transmission-tunnel to fit the 4L80e, then the swap promises to be successful.  Best wishes!

i agree with you michael, im only going for 5 to 600hp i think i can hit that number with an LT(with boost) i know i'll definitely hit it with an LS.

as far as being "rare" i have plenty of LT donor options around me, from camaros to trans-am's to corvettes... and the vettes have at least 300hp stock.

if i slap a charger on that i'll be in my power range easy.

so it can be overwhelming the swap choices/possibilities.....i have  a little while longer to decide. once i start ordering parts either LT, or LS I'm not turning back.

I am currently doing the LT1 upgrade, and my reasoning is it was free. I live in CA and the Firebird wouldn't pass smog without a lot of work, so I bought a 71 Datsun that;s smog exempt, and now I have a use for the LT1! The LT1 has it's problems with the optispark, and it's horrible placement behind the water pump. I would like to point out the new Corvette Stingrays are using an LT1 again! I haven't looked into the possibility of parts from the new LT1 bolting onto the older ones, but I'd like to think at least some of it will. The LT1 is easier to come by in my opinion because everyone wants the LS1, so you'd have better luck, I got my firebird for $500 for the whole car, the car ran, but had a massive coolant leak and lots of problems. The 93 LT1 from the firebirds have a Oil Filter Cooler housing and that was cracked and also impossible to find (Thank god for JB Weld!!), so make sure to look for that, as they were not on a 94-96. The 97-02 had the LS1. I hope this info helps. 

• 4 weeks later...

There is nothing about the new LT1 that remotely compares to either version of the two older LT1s. Chevy for some reason just likes the name! There was one in the early 1970s, redone in 1993 with very few if any interchangeable parts and now the new Corvette version which is totally new.

I have been running my 280Z with a reworked '95 LT1 for 10 years and over 40K miles with no issues.

Boosting the LT1 could be tough considering its compression ratio. Plus unless you get a Corvette version you get a 2 bolt main bottom end. There is not a lot of speed equipment for the LT1. If you want 500 - 600HP  it would be much easier to go the LS route. I love my LT1/4L60E but if I were going to do it again I get a LS3.