HybridZ

Holly's Commander 950 Multi-Point Fuel Injection System

Danno74Z

I just Received my Feb. 2001 edition of Chevy Performance and they had an article on Holly's Commander 950 Multi-Point Fuel Injection System. The article went through and explained the main features of this system and I have to say that this product really looks good. Hopefully, someone in our membership has tried this new system or knows someone who has. Any hands on feed back would be great. Here is a link to the Holly page that has the Commander 950 EFI system:

http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLine/Products/C950/C950.html

Like to here what you think.

Danno74z

I've been waiting to hear about this system - info I'd been given prior to it's release was that it was being designed by known players with past experience and that it would be "awesome".

Unfortunatly, as usual, the car mag did a build up and didn't tell us near enough about the EFI. They need to tell us MUCH more about the tuning process for this box, it's datalogging abilities, datalogging rate, number of channels it can log, and give us some ideas as to the software's capability (IMO). I was pretty excited to see the article but it weren't enough...

P.S. Hrm just to be sure, this was a big block buildup comparing carb to EFI? Ran out of injector and had to move up to 36lbs injectors? I read it in PHR, my Chevy HiPo hasn't shown up, hope it didn't lapse! I think those mags share articles but if you saw a different article PLEASE tell me - been waiting to see what this puppy's got!

I don?t know if this is the same article your read but I will try and hit the highlights from CHP.

Hardware parameters Screen: 950 allows 4,6, or 8cylinders, open or closed loop control, elec. fan control, map sensor for supercharged applications 1, 2, 3 bar up to 40psi, rev lim. Fuel pump prime setting.

Fuel Map Screen: 256 separate data points, Idle Air Control Position, O2 scale, modify each cell or the entire map by a %, rpm scale is programmable, cold start enrichment, acceleration enrichment, nitrous fuel additions, fuel map can be displayed graphically and rotated.

Spark Map Screen: Similar to fuel map, load from idle to WOT (all graphically displayed), load rpm, knock control.

Datalogger Screen: Can record and play back rpm, injector pulse width, map sensor voltages, and TPS voltages,

Nitrous Screen: Commander 950 can digitally control the nitrous based on your inputs. Wet or Dry types or nitrous.

Acceleration Enrichment Screen: TPS and Map based from idle to WOT, under load or no load.

Closed Loop Screen: Use an O2 sensor to adj. Injector pulse width to established the desired 14.7: 1 air-fuel ratio.

950-103 retro-fit kit for any single-plane intake

950-101 GM TPI ?85-?91

950-102 GM LS1

534-134 Wiring harness Cooling Fans

534-135 Wiring harness Knock sensor

534-138 Wiring harness for HEI dist.

*** No LT1 application. I wrote to Holley asking why not.

Yeah, I screwed up - COMPLETELY different article! Mine showed up today - much nicer article but still some holes. Thanks for the heads up - I looked for it as soon as I saw the mag. GOOD article on VORTEC heads too!!!

A concern that may have been simple mistakes in the article... No O2 voltage for data logging? Umm, what's the point? No data on frequency of logging, wish they had given us traces on the datalogger screenshot too. I'd liek to be able to choose more than those simple things for logging - how about ignition advance? No knock sensor?! The offer a wiring kit for one - I can't datalog that? I think they used the screenshot for one datalog where someone chose some data lines and figured that's all it could do - Holley can't have screwed this up so badly!

Um, 8 high impedence injectors, or 4 low impedence. Gee, thanks. What happens when you get to a big blown V8? Try finding injectors in high impedence over about 40lbs in size. The pickings get slim for a reason - high impedence injectors don't react as fast as the low ones and when you get that big it's important to have fast reaction in order to idle a big injector! Grr!

I DO like the ability to see the computer corrections in closed loop in a color coordinated fashion. The NOS stuff could be used as a high end retard too if you want smile.gif They will be selling "retro kits" for "any single plane intake", TPIs, and LS1s. Not sure why the LT1 was left off - maybe since a bunch were MAF? So long as the connectors on the injectors and sensors worked I'd think it could still be done okay. Wonder how th euser will build the initial start maps etc. - I didn't see anything about generating them. Is it batch fire or full sequential? Would liek a MAF option (sigh).

All in all a good first article considering I don't think they had an engine to test with. Combined with the other article I saw it helps. Will watch this one and see, if anyone sees demo copies of the software let me know!

Holley does have an application for the LT1.

Dan

Holley has a commander 950 engine management system kit for LT1 engines p/n

950-105 .

This kit contains the commander ecu,wire harness,o2sensor,map

sensor,software.You use

the oem fuelrail,intake,sensors,injectors,etc . The commander system is a

stand alone

fuel and spark management system.It wont control trans,crusie,a/c,etc.

Thanks Chris ...