HybridZ

Bought a used Car with MS - 1 v3.0, need help identifying proto mess

tolerate

Hi All,

My car is having problem at higher revs ( i bought the car as a project from someone else.)  It idles fine but it stalls out at anything above idle. I took it to a tuner who said it might be the injector drivers going bad?  

Anyway, I cracked it open and found  http://imgur.com/a/USFd8 this (theres a cartoon in the album) It looks faintly like the http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_articles/common_megasquirt_modifications.htm#Add_Output_v3  "Adding an relay control circuit to the megasquirt PCB-3" (middle section of the article) but it connects to the voltage regulator (U5) and there isn't a JS3 output connection wire from the resistor.  

My question is this:

1. What is the purpose of this setup?
  2. Is the wiring right?
  3. Is a bad voltage regulator (U5) possible for the engine problems I'm facing?

PS: I made a MS2 v3 and also tried to plug it in according to the http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_articles/how_to_megasquirt_your_280zx_turbo.htm writeup.  But It wouldn't even start.  so I have a feeling this setup does something more than just control a relay.

PSS: Car is a 280z with a 1982 engine/distro

Thanks All in Advance.

I would suggest reading the megasquirt manuel.

Check all diagnostics.

i.e.

tps reading

o2 reading

map sensor

crank sensor

Then check for any vacuum leaks, proper fuel pressurse.

My recent issue was tps was losing power and would affect driveability off idle.

Hope that helps

Can you switch to the MS2? MS2 provides better features and timing resolution for the L.

Injector drivers going out would get worse and worse as the car ran.

yea. I think I'll just move over to the MS2, I bought one and built it, but no joy on getting the car to run on it.  I will have to go back and check to see whats going on.  I can actually smell the gas, so I think I have a spark problem.  The MS1 will start and idle the car fine.

I still get lost in the MS1, MS2, MS3, MS3X, MSPNP, Microsquirt, V2.2, V3.0, V3.57, daughter card, stuff.  But, it seems like, maybe, this link has some useful information for you.  Found it with Google.

http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_articles/megasquirt_injector_driver_troubleshooting.htm

I already checked these and left them on for 30 minutes, using the stim board.  Everything was fine.  

Edited by tolerate

I took it to a tuner who said it might be the injector drivers going bad?  

Should have said so.  Why leave this question if you already know?  Trust the information and move on, eventually you'll find something that's not right.

Should have said so.  Why leave this question if you already know?  Trust the information and move on, eventually you'll find something that's not right.

I used the MS trouble shoot http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_articles/megasquirt_injector_driver_troubleshooting.htm and ran it for 30 minutes with the stim board, and data logged teh results, for constant 1500 rpm, the results look stable.   in car, if i try to hold constant RPM it would stall out within a couple of minutes.

i've been having the same systems for a while, it seems to be more of a thermal shutdown.  Also he has the additional motivation of trying to sell me  a $1600 holley EMS and install.  

Since I've built an MS2 and tried to replace the system, but on the stim, the spark advance will not use the table values (i.e. the spark advance uses crank and lower RPM table values [as shown in spark advance gauge], but will not use higher RPM values on stim). however the stim IGN isnt lighting up for MS2.  

Edited by tolerate

Are you using low or high impedance injectors?

Hi Matt,

Thanks for taking a look at my post.  the car came with low impedance, but i installed a resistor pack.  

I noticed that the Q12 on the board didnt have a mica insulator, but used the heat tape thing.  Would that be causing the symptoms of thermal overload or grounding?  

Since I've put in a mica insulator, but I haven't tested it yet to see if that was the fix.

On a separate note.  I bought a MS2 kit, soldered in the same setup as the MS1 in question, but the IG LED won't flash on my stim.  However, when I hook up the MS1 and replace the MS1 processor with the MS2 processor the IG lights up (also the IG LED lights up with MS1 processor)  Is there a trouble shoot that you know I could do?  

Lastly, after I replaced the MS1 processor on the MS1 v3 board with the MS2 processor, the spark advance will not go past 32 degrees on the stim.  Like there is a limit.  I've played around and lowered the spark advance table numbers, and it will not go past 32 no matter the rpm. 

Edit:

1. forgot to mention after running the MS board on stim for 20 minutes, the transistors are not warm/hot to the touch. however there is a slight smell of ozone. 
  2. When I put in the MS1 processor on the MS2 board I assembled and connected to stim, there's a clicking noise that operates at a steady pace regardless of RPM.
Edited by tolerate