HybridZ

My 76

I've been lurking on this forum for about 3 years as I was restoring/modding my 76.  It started as a stock light blue car (like the one I had 30 years ago).  Datsun Spirit rebuilt my engine (STRb).  I upgraded the bushings (most urethane), and installed Koni struts and Eibach springs, all of which vastly improved the handling and ride.  The interior is mostly stock, but I had the dash, which was horribly cracked, covered in alcantara, reupholstered the seats, installed new carpet, pad and dynamat and installed a RetroSound radio and speakers.  Still struggling with exhaust coming in the back and, last weekend, it developed an exhaust leak at the header.  Until the exhaust leak, it was great fun to drive.  Nice strong acceleration.

post-38543-0-24497100-1452031237_thumb.jpg

post-38543-0-53977400-1452031238_thumb.jpg

post-38543-0-30257700-1452031240_thumb.jpg

post-38543-0-00298000-1452031242_thumb.jpg

The local z shop said that a lot of people don't fit the hatch gasket correctly, he says with a ton of clamps it takes him about 4 hours to ensure a good tight fit including hatch adjustments and copious dollar bill checks. Personally Mine never sat quite right either.

I just ended up moving the exhaust to the side. It felt like a never ending chase.

Good luck on your search!

On the exhaust fumes, I'm going to recheck the rear deck seals -- I've replaced all of the seals and gaskets.

The one that people tend to miss is the vinyl covered cardboard panel on the inside/  The latch hole isn't sealed so fumes can enter the hatch frame and get in through the panel opening.

The interior panel that NewZed mentioned is definitely a place that can let fumes in. I would also check the tail light gaskets. Those dry out and leave big gaps that will allow fumes and water in.

Car is looking nice though. I'd love to see some photos of the dash. I haven't seen one covered in alcantara before.

I have fumes coming into the cabin as well. All my rubber seals are new but the hatch couldn't be adjusted to close totally flat with the new hatch seals so we've given it a couple of months for the seals to soften and will be adjusting the hatch itself today to close tighter and hopefully completely. I'd forgotten to seal the inside hatch panel so I'll do that today as well and keep my fingers crossed. Thanks for the reminder!!!