HybridZ

Stripped window regulator crank splines

VSnakeByteV

Okay, so I bought the car (a 71 240Z)with vise grips for window crank handles.... I would like to do a electric window upgrade. I don't think it would be possible for me to salvage the regulator splines, just because of how messed up/perfectly round they are. I had an idea of welding a nut onto the regulator shaft, and possibly modifying a 6 point socket to work with the window motor. Ideas, thoughts??

I do not have the electric window kit yet, so I do not know if this is entirely possible, but I am open to ideas. 

I believe that most of the electric window kits that can be used on a Z utilize plastic gears that slip over the stock splined shaft, and then the electric motor drive chain turns that gear. That means that the stock regulator spline must be in good condition. Sorry.

Mike Mileski

Tucson, AZ

• 2 months later...

For anyone who sees this later on, a plastic gear does fit around the hand crank splines. I had a issue where the PO had a loose handle and just continued to crank it until the little bit of teeth left were worn away. Only possible solution without getting all McGyver is to buy and install a new window regulator. See them on FleaBAY all the time for pretty cheap

• 1 month later...

I had the same issue. PO used vise grips as window cranks and stripped the splines. I used some aftermarket cranks and they were ok for a while. But soon the little screws holding them on just weren't doing the trick, so I bought some used regulators in great condition from someone on another forum.

• 3 weeks later...