HybridZ

S30 semi-racing seats for big butt people

DeathByNissan55

So I'm in the upper midwest and I'm not aware of any places near me that would be a good place to test sit in semi-racing seats (seats that hold you better than stock but are still comfortable and adjustable/recline, etc., and accept harnesses), and I definitely don't want to just buy a bunch and return the uncomfortable ones as shipping costs would be stupid.

I'm a big guy with wide hips and shoulders, any recommendations out there for a brands/styles that are better for the bigger people, that are type that described above (semi-racing)?

Don't really want to turn this into a "what fits into an S30" post cuz then I'll just get a "use the search button" response, but if you happen to know of some bigger comfier semi-racing seats that just happen to bolt up and fit in an S30, try to draw attention to that note haha.

I'm willing to make brackets and etc.

Just to give you an idea of size, I have a waist size of 46, and if you've ever sat in a s14, those stock cloth seats hurt my butt cuz the wings are too narrow.

You should post what year you have since earlier years have more room than later, since they don't have the cat hump. Also your height. I'm 6'1, and with miata seats with lowered brackets, my helmet clears the roof by an inch or so. Some people put seats in higher and lose headroom, so that may or may not be an issue for you.

Touge Factory (TF-Works) in Chicago would probably have some seats for you to try. If not they would definitely know someplace that does. What I think you're going to struggle with more than anything is that the s30 is narrow anyway. The should area has to be pretty width limited. So you'd need to start looking at seats with a narrow should width or no shoulder bolsters. 

I have been meaning to visit a shop close by.

unnamed.png

Have a hip measurement side to side?

well I'm a 46 waist so that mean 46" circumference (roughly), (46 / pi ) = 14.6" diameter, and since its more of an oval than circle, add maybe half of radius -> 14.6+3.6 = 18.2 round up to maybe 19" or 20"....

SO yea lets go with 20" from hip edge to hip edge directly across, not perimeter.

http://corbeau.com/sportline-evolution.html

I have the Corbeau Evolution. The bolsters aren't that invasive. I'm 235lbs with a 38" waist and find these comfortable.

I dont know about you, But i'm not looking to spend 400$ for one seat that may not fit me lmao

But thanks for the input, I'll use this as a reference.

I am in the same predicament with the same year Z. I know the Sparco R100 seats fit in a 240z, but I don't know if they would fit with less room in the 280z. I also don't know if I fit the R100's lol. I have the opportunity to pick up a pair of Cobra Daytona seats for cheap. Since DeathByNissan55 and I are in the same boat, does anyone have anymore information on these seats for bigger people in 280z's lol?

If I have to modify the inside to make a seat fit I will, I'm having full roll cage put in there anyways so the inside is no longer stock haha.

I'm more looking for ones that fit my butt and fit height wise since I'll have a roll bar to worry about being under when wearing a full helmet and gear.

Seems this sport was made for skinny people...makes sense with the whole weight reductions goals haha.

I will be able to give you more info on the Sparco R100s since I got them for my '78 280Z.  I was hoping to adapt them to the stock rails (which is easily done with the 240Z setup), but since both sides have different mounting spacing, I just got the Sparco base mounts and tracks and will be mounting them.  Stand by. 

post-505-0-31656100-1452804137_thumb.jpg

post-505-0-20058500-1452804151_thumb.jpg

I will be able to give you more info on the Sparco R100s since I got them for my '78 280Z.  I was hoping to adapt them to the stock rails (which is easily done with the 240Z setup), but since both sides have different mounting spacing, I just got the Sparco base mounts and tracks and will be mounting them.  Stand by. 

Yea sounds good!

What style harness are you going with?  Or you keeping the original style retractable belts?

OK, so I mounted the seats to the Sparco seat mounts along with the OMP/Sparco seat tracks/sliders.  The passenger side (as expected) was a "piece of cake" and is located exactly where you would want it. 

As for the driver side, the location was right where the shoulder bolster would touch the window.  I wanted to match the driver side location to the passenger where it would actually recline.  There is an extra set of slots on the right (inside) of the mount to move it inward more, but not on the outside, so I ended up drilling a couple holes to match it up to be mounted as close to the tunnel as possible.  When bolting the seats to the floor, I could either lean the seat back where the shoulder bolster is clear of the B-pillar interior trim panel or in front of it, so I went for a more reclining position since I prefer that and it allowed for about 1.5" of head room.  (I am 6 foot tall with 32" inseam)  I did report this issue to Planted Technologies (who makes the mounts for just about all aftermarket seats) and they will talk to Sparco about possible addition of the extra slot with them.  I also told them that in a perfect world, it would be nice if the mounting tabs were moved outward (toward the door) by a half inch or so to get it just right.  I did "massage" the tunnel a bit early on and there are no clearance issues the way the seats are mounted right now, so it would be minimal, if any, in a 280Z. 

So, it would be tight for anyone over 6 foot tall and I likely will modify the floor/seat rails to get more head clearance in the future, but will work fine for now.  Really, I could just solid mount them in place and gain almost another inch of headroom, which may also be something to consider down the road since I won't be letting many people drive my car and they just better not be short.  ;^)

Hope that helps. 

post-505-0-61177700-1453226391_thumb.jpg

post-505-0-12657800-1453226392_thumb.jpg

post-505-0-16937000-1453225477_thumb.jpg

post-505-0-96419000-1453224804_thumb.jpg

post-505-0-43219100-1453224805_thumb.jpg

post-505-0-82219100-1453224805_thumb.jpg

Edited by Savage42

Went to the store in question. 

Forgot my ruler, but had a piece of string and measured all the seats they had available. My most important measurement was the shoulder bolster as that tends to hit the glass if it is too wide.

There really wasn't any seat that was compatible to the R100's shoulder bolster wise. I sat in it, felt pretty decent, I plan on getting some lumbar pads just for comfort. 

There were other seats, but they really got up in price. Some recaro's seemed to fit, but the price tag was around 900+ for the ones that may have worked. Buckets are basically out of the question other then the special XL listed buckets which provide a bulge for the hip, but they still squish down so I imagine the legs would be compressed which is not comfortable (drove in ST buckets for 4 hours, nuts were screaming).

I would say a look at RSX seats with custom mounts or floor mounts, my bigger friends seems to really like the bolster and it is a comfortable seat, in the same line s2000 seats are similar but preclude the option to run a harness if that is a factor.