HybridZ

Help!!! I need a strong 5 speed

ZROSSA

Howdy all,

This is a bit out there but i cant find a strong manual gear box in New Zealand for reasonable money. I need something that can handle up to 600 ft/lb for my vr6 engine projects.  One is going in my Z and the other into my old race car. The engines are both turbo and can produce a lot of power. I can get a bell housing to mate the VR6 to chevy style boxes so that would be the preferred option. The t56 gearing doesn't suit unfortunately. i might even consider a good race 4 speed for the race car...would really like a bit of over drive for the Z though....Around .80 to .70 if possible.

I might even look at a tr 3650 as they can be upgraded to handle what I want to do.

I have friends and family on the east and west coast that might be able to help out with shipping if that's a concern. 

Cheers,

Douglas

Have you done a search for swapping over any of the BMW transmissions??.. I read a thread on club lexus, where a member swapped a BMW E39 5spd onto a 1jz.. Not a U.S. Sold model BMW.. Guy is from Sweden.. He read that drifters say that trans is stronger than the R-154 and cheaper than the Toyota V160 Trans.

Sc300 rebuild 1jz bmw trans  is the thread title..

Good Luck

Edited by dexter72

Thanks Dexter,

Believe it or not I actually have a Bmw turbo diesel trans coming over from the UK as we speak. I think the problem will be when I start to break parts in it so I thought i would aim for something a bit more fixable. At the time I ordered it I only needed one trans. Now I need two.

There is a local rally driver here that mounted the Audi 5 cylinder to Subaru drive train in his Audi S1 replica. I have sent him a note to see if the same could be done with the VR6. It is relatively simple to make the scooby box RWD and you can get all sorts of parts for them locally, from dog engagement to fully sequential and good to 700 ft/lb. Best thing is, I can pick up the base box for any where between $150 -$500. So I am looking down this road at the moment.

I have also sent Quicktime two e-mails now and they havent bothered to reply. Bugger them! I will do it my self!

Cheers, Douglas