HybridZ

How does one Plumb/Fit the Return Line of a Recirculation Valve into the Post-AFM/Pre-Turbo?

dat280zxt

Easy enough. Trying to eliminate room for opinions on this one. :-)

Every BOV/Recirc post I've searched through and read terminates in a discussion of Recirc/Vent. I'd like to find the actual answer to the physical plumbing. I'll take answers or even links/search terms to posts I couldn't find! :-)

Those that have, have used, or know how to plumb a Recirculation Valve system...

What parts did you/does one use to recirculate a 1" hose into the pipe or boots between the AFM and Turbo?

1G DSM Recirc valve, and I want to release it post-AFM, isn't as close to the Turbo as possible the best?

Angle of entry matter at all? Is 45~180 degrees possible, or worth any effort?

Thanks!

I'm assuming that you are asking how to plumb the recirculated output of the valve back into the turbine inlet - you _could_ build your own adapter and try to angle the reccirculated flow such that it tends to help spin up the turbine.

Or if you want something quicker and easier you could just buy something like this

These adapters come in various sizes - just search ebay motors for "silicone adapter tee"

Tim is correct on the availability of those parts, when I made mine it was all about location and space. I welded in a 1" tube into the steel elbow connector I was using to line up the afm flow to the turbo intake. Once I get MsS up and running I'll get rid of afm and have more options on space.

Brad, the 1G DSM Recirc valve goes right before the TB...  it is the actual recirculation dump that'll go right back into the AFM side of the Turbo...

TimZ and wolfalp, thanks.

That sounds about what I expected. The link was super-helpful. T-Adapter...  guess I can stick some piping in there and clamp it in...  I have to get the Recirc Valve flange welded onto a 2.25 steel pipe anyway, guess I can ask that shop if they can weld a tube into anything down there.

And thanks for the gentle nudging on the angle theory.

DAT280ZXT:

Hence my recommendation of closer to the TB the better...

Had an HKS intercooler kit w/one on an '85 Conquest.

That got totalled when rear-ended and put the valve on the '87 Station ESIR I bought to replace the Conquest...at the beginning of the model year.

I had to fab the pipework for it.

When finished I called up HKS and told 'm they should make a a kit - hence the approximately $230 kit they came out with later.

Brad,

I appreciate the assistance... but if you are talking about the recirc valve placement, that's pretty set.
I drafted this post up concerning the location and physical hardware portion of the pre-Turbo plumbing receiving the blown off air from the Recirc Valve, which should not be anywhere near the TB.

So, if you have opinions on the (subject of the Subject line) Return Line and its placement between the AFM and Turbo, I'd love to hear it.

the dump from the valve I agree should b3 as close to the turbo inlet as possible - and I ALSO AGREE THAT IF IT CAN BE "aimed" at th3 inlet it would be better.

I believe we are in agreement.

This is probably obvious, but if you try to aim the outlet gasses toward the inlet, it's important to make sure that it's aimed in a manner that will not oppose the direction of spin of the turbine.  You don't want the blow-off valve to try to stall the turbine.

While that makes perfect sense, Tim, my skillset likely doesn't allow for me to get that close!

Mostly just 30-60 degrees vs 90 degree dump into the pipe, if anything. Just on the chance it is slightly better than no change.

Good reminder, though, if it does get close, I'll have to take the direction of spin into account.

---

Brad, now we're talking!

While that makes perfect sense, Tim, my skillset likely doesn't allow for me to get that close!

Mostly just 30-60 degrees vs 90 degree dump into the pipe, if anything. Just on the chance it is slightly better than no change.

Good reminder, though, if it does get close, I'll have to take the direction of spin into account.

It's not just the angle toward the inlet - direct the dumped gasses off-center to the turbine inlet so that the resulting "swirl" is in the same direction as the turbine.

• 4 months later...

Mine picks up the excess boost right in front of the throttle plate and dumps it into the boot on the turbo inlet.

It is such that it is pointed toward the inlet at a 45 degree angle which should help it not billow backwards out the air flow meter.

The recirc valve is open when at idle which has no bad effect since it is recirc. instead of vented and it had zero effect on idle.

The junkyard is full of volvos or saabs that have the components to make this......just time to take things apart and measure.

Edited by HowlerMonkey

The junkyard is full of volvos or saabs that have the components to make this......just time to take things apart and measure.

Good stuff.

Any particular models or part names you can think of?

Descriptions, components, and methods of connection are I've been looking for.

I get the location parts need to go, but noone I've found discusses which parts.

All good info, hope it also helps others down the line.

Edited by dat280zxt