HybridZ

Canton or Kevco RR oil pan and Alt on LSX motor

Anyone have success using an aftermarket RR pan for their LSX motor swap such as Canton or Kevco?  I have read the LS1 pan has the lowest profile which makes it preferable but the LS2 pan has been used successfully even though it has slightly larger dimensions.  The aftermarket pans have wider and deeper sump which makes me wonder if header clearance will be an issue.  I am in the hunt right now for LS2/LS3/L72/L94, basically any 6.0L or 6.2L compete pull out motor from car or truck.  The truck pans are huge so if I am forced to get a new pan should I consider an aftermarket unit with baffles, etc.

The next question is will the front dress accessories of the truck/Pontiac/Caddy motors clear the hood or frame rail?  The truck alternator is placed high on the upper driver's side of the motor.  The Pontiac and Caddy motors have the alternator down by the driver's frame rail.  Is the front dress of the f-body and Corvette best when swapping into the S30?  FYI, I have a 75 280Z.

Well, I'll throw out one more question.  The flex-fuel L9H and L94 truck motors have huge 54 lbs. injectors.  Can these be used without running E85 gas?  I assume the fuel sensor that determines gas/alcohol ratio will be needed.  Or is this a moot point cause I should swap to a LS3 intake and injectors.

Here is an awesome writeup on the LSX series motors.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/LSPrimer/Part1/

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/LSPrimer/Part2/

J

I'm using a Kevco pan. I made mine shallow. Probably too shallow. I was concerned about the height to the xmember. When I bolted it up I found that the xmember and the trans were both about an inch lower than the bottom of the pan. Still has 5.5 qt capacity, trap door baffles, and remote oil cooler fittings (which I plumbed an accusump into). Only had mine out once to an autox, just got it running in October. I have a big oil pressure light and it never came on, FWIW.

I believe the LS2 Vette pan is the shallowest of the stock pans FWIW.