HybridZ

Machining OEM parts

JoeK

I'm trying to emulate the Z32 swap that GSXTCY was offering, but seems to have moved on. The rotors are from an '07 Honda Oddysey and need the center bore enlarged and the mounting pattern redrilled. I've called about 20 machine shops, from automotive machine shops to custom CNC fabrication shops. The automotive machine shops say they aren't set up for this kind of thing, and the fabrication shops say they won't work on auto parts, they don't want the liability. Any suggestions of where to turn next?

Have you tried a local rim/wheel repair shop?  I know you said you have tried automotive machine shops, but I mean a place that specializes in only rims/wheels.  I have seen a few shops around here (East Coast) that repair rims including re-drilling center bores and lug patterns.  I would think if they can do it on a rim, they might be able to do a rotor as well since the concept is basically the same.  

Pillar, that's a good idea. I'll check it out.

Llave, I was going to make my own caliper brackets but Arif has gotten a hold of some and is looking into having more made. Look here: http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/124495-brackets-for-z32-brakes-on-a-s30/

Also, I had contacted RHDJapan about sourcing these in Japan and this is what they drummed up. http://www.rhdjapan.com/rubber-soul-r32-type-m-caliper-fitment-kit-s30-fairlady.html  I thought it a little on the expensive side but it's always worth what someone is willing to pay right.

Edited by JoeK

• 3 months later...

Well, he also had to drill a new bolt pattern. That is also off by the same amount. So he'd have to elongate the holes, which I don't like the idea of at all. the rotors clear the calipers, so it seems to me the worst that will happen is it'll feel out of balance, like an unbalanced tire.

I ended up finding a local garage machinist to do it for me. Though he didn't end up getting it centered and it is out by .090. See post #5 here http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/39437-how-much-radial-rotor-runout-is-acceptable/?hl=%2Bradial+%2Brunout I'm going to run it and see if it causes havoc, unless someone tells me otherwise...

.090 is a crazy amount to be off! Machinists are used to working with tolerances +-.002 normally and should be able to get that concentric down to those levels. I would not return to that "machinist", and I don't think it would be a very good idea to run those rotors the way they are. I would keep searching for a place that will be able to get it within +-.005 everytime.

Anyone with a lathe and drill press can do it. I did mine in 10 mins.

The machinist screwed up, Im sorry to say it but you're rotors are junk. Turning the OD may create balance issues or may cause your rotor to snag on the caliper. Dont run them!

I have a set of caliper brackets I had lasercut but they are for GTR rotors. If you can source those then the brackets I have will work.

Edited by 240zdan

Get another set of rotors and start over.  Honda Oddysey cannot be that expensive.

Hopefully you didn't pay much to the hack that screwed up the last set.  This should be an easy job for any decent machinist.

I am spoiled though.  I live down the street from a very skilled Tool and Die maker.  I provide him a drawing of what I want and he gets it right every time.

The rotors are cheap, I think they were $120 per pair including shipping from Rockauto. I don't want to talk about how much I paid the machinist, but I guess if I piad more than $1 it was too much. I have a drill press, but lack a metal lathe. I've still been unable to find a machinst in the Bay Area that will do this for me, which seems ridiculous.

If anybody knows a machinst who will do this for me, I'd drop ship the parts directly to them. I can also email a pdf of the layout, it's pretty simple.

I think most machine shops do not want to deal with a job, with out a detailed drawing.

The machinist hand book gives specifications for  types of fits.

For a rotor ID to fit a hub OD of 2.500" It may be called out  Machine ID to 2.501" -.000 +.001" Concentric to OD within .005"

If the OD is rough a clean up cut may be needed.

Bolt circle call out will be Four .xxx" + -.005" holes on 4.500" circle 90 degree spacing Concentric to ID.

This job can be done on a Mill/Jig bore with a boring head or a CNC turning center with live tooling as well as a Lathe and Mill.

The bore definetley needs to be turned on the lathe, but the drilling can be done on a drill press. Since the bore locates the hub to the rotor the drilled holes dont need to be extremeley precise, .005 is pretty easy to hold on a drill press though.

This is simple stuff, you should not be having as much issues as youre having with getting the job done. Like I said, I did mine in about 30 mins tops.