HybridZ

Jim cook racing, the original California a car

nrS30

Thanks I will email the guy selling the white one.

I found as much info as I could. I recently acquired the Jim cook moulds to make this complete kit, plus some other air dams and wings.

Just want to see what people know about them and if anyone knew where any of the kits where these days.

I hear there the steel bodied original California Z pictured is in Tampa fl so where. Would love to talk to him.

And Tim, thanks for being a smart a**. I am one too:)

• 2 weeks later...

The original car, as seen above, was featured in Feb. 1976 Hot Rod magazine.

I ordered this kit for my turbo '77 in the 84/85 time frame along with the square headlights and the 3m adhesive they recommended.  It was a 5 piece kit in grey gelcoat.  Just after this they contacted me to let me know they had developed a spoiler for the kit.  Since it was not in the catalog, Jim Cook sent me a shop photo of it installed on that car.  I ordered the spoiler which came in a white gelcoat if I remember correctly.  The kit is still alive and well, in Ohio last I knew, still on the same car.  I have the catalog and the photograph tucked away somewhere....we moved and things are still in boxes so I can't put my hands on it.  I also ordered the Centerline "Champ"? wheels from Jim Cook at the same time. It all made for a very nice Z BITD. 

• 1 year later...

Just bought a 71 Datsun 240Z with a Jim Cook body kit. I am new to the forum and this is my first 240.

The first car I ever owned was a 1980 Datsun 280 Z which I have missed ever since I sold 20 years ago.

This car was a strip racer then an ice track racer so a lot of work is needed. It is currently just the show, roll cage, and is set up for a Chevy small block V-8. It had a 383 stroker and it was supercharger putting out 700 horse and the car has sucked for the last 10 years since that motor was pulled out and soul.

nrS30,

Did you also end up with the mould for the headlight cover?

Thanks I will email the guy selling the white one.

I found as much info as I could. I recently acquired the Jim cook moulds to make this complete kit, plus some other air dams and wings.

Just want to see what people know about them and if anyone knew where any of the kits where these days.

I hear there the steel bodied original California Z pictured is in Tampa fl so where. Would love to talk to him.

And Tim, thanks for being a smart a**. I am one too:)

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...