HybridZ

Rear bushing question

There is torque spec to check that rotation tightness. It's not very tight, you can turn it easily by hand, but it feels nice and stiff and smooth. You cannot make it spin free with a flick of your wrist for example. I think of it as the feel of a really old high end stereo volume knob. It feels like the knob weights about 10 lbs. Does the rotation have tight and loose spots? Shouldn't.

First obvious question is did you remember to put the distance piece (that spacer pipe) in between the two bearings? Were the bearing seats perfectly clean so the bearing seat dead square? What torque did you tighten the big nut to?

You may need to disassemble the stub axle and make sure the bearings are seated or that you didn't leave  out the spacer.  Note that the spacers are matched to the hub.

See attached pictures from the FSM.

post-178-0-36646900-1454271839_thumb.jpg

post-178-0-09928800-1454271850_thumb.jpg

Edited by Miles

Just realized that the guys who sell the high-performance axles never mention the distance piece.  To johnc's point, #12, in this thread - http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/35065-280z-stub-axle-vs-240z-stub-axle/?do=findComment&comment=1164179

Trust but verify always. 

I reused the distance piece with the new axles I got from Modern Motorsports (Chequered Flag) and had no problem. They probably assume that the buyer knows to reassemble the axle using the original spacer.

Thanks for the info. I didn't do the bearings myself so I can't say for sure if everything is correct. I'm pretty sure somethings not right. There is a definite drag when turning them by hand. I'm going to take them back and have them double check everything.

Sometime the inside hub seal is not seated completely and that causes additional drag.  Its supposed to be recessed into the hub.  Some folks install it flush with the inside hub face and that causes a lot of drag.  The seal will fail very quickly in use if not seated properly.

Here is a rear bearing replacement tutorial posted at  http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/rearwheelbearings/index.html

I prefer using a press instead of hammering the bearing in place as shown in the tutorial. 

John is correct. Be sure the seal is seated all the way into the hub. Even when the seal is seated it still drags on the companion flange some, but there should be no binding or force needed to turn the stub axle.