HybridZ

Used the wrong block for 89mm overbore. What to do?

Tomzern

I used 'hardblok' in my F54 3.1L engine for extra piece of mind, sonic tests showed my wall thickness was fine.

Filled to the bottom of the water pump inlet, no temp issues at all with an LD28 water pump.

There you go. Hard block it, run it. relatively cheap and easy.

Make sure you watch your oil temperatures with a half-filled block.

Oil temps will go up, sometimes dramatically. You don't have the oil getting cooled by splashing up against the bottom of the water jacket anymore. I would recommend planning for an oil cooler, complete with oil thermostat.

I figured the same thing, I was expecting high temps with the half fill but it hasn't happened... yet.

I have Kameari oil temp, water temp and oil pressure gauges. So far on the street, hwy running and blasts through the hills running a 4.37diff, 0.833 5th gear, with 7k shifts the oil temp is steady as a rock at 82deg in 35deg ambient temps.

No idea how that compares to a stock non filled block as the gauges were installed when the 3.1 half fill was dropped in.

I'll definitely have a temp controlled cooler before I get back to the track. Track days are a whole other world of hurt.

Edited by Gareth. J.

That's about 9 degees C/20 degrees F hotter than most of my L28's have run on the street without a fill, but it's not hot enough to be an issue....only about 180F. Really isn't hot enough to get the water vapor boiled out either.

Sustained 5000RPM usage (approximately 5 minutes at fairly constant 85% throttle, 5000-6000RPM) brought oil temps up over 200F in about three minutes before leveling off at 210F. Testing continued until the tires lacked the ability to load the engine properly. No oil cooler was fitted at the time.