HybridZ

TD05 turbo on N/A L28E

JelmerPatrol

I have a L28E in my 84 Nissan Patrol and looking into turbo charging it. A couple of month's ago a friend of mine had a RB25 turbocharger but he can't find it anymore. He came with the turbo that you can find in the attachments.

Would this be a suitable turbo for me? I need torque, not 300Hp since it is in a truck.

post-4497-0-24744400-1455736151_thumb.jpg

post-4497-0-22986300-1455736162_thumb.jpg

post-4497-0-74108500-1455736174_thumb.jpg

It actually is probably a perfect size turbo for a 2.8L.

That's a Greddy/Trust Mitsubishi housed turbo. Probably from an aftermarket kit for some import car. A 18g Sized compressor realistically supports about 350whp, but that would be at a high pressure ratio (20-25psi) likely on a smaller engine. On a 2.8L where you will make more HP at a lower boost, it will probably run out of breath a little sooner, but still be good for about 300whp under the 15-18psi mark.

That turbine housing is one of the only designs for a T3 flange and a TD05H wheel. it's known as a GM style and typically I believe came on the Typhoon/cyclone. They have designs for them in 6cm, 8cm, and 10cm. The 10.0 number is likely the turbine scroll ratio meaning 10.0cm^2 which equates to about a .7-.8AR ratio in Garett world.

Run it and let us know how it goes. Should be a good fit.
Only thing I'd be concerned about is whether the wastegate is ported enough. it's not usually a very free flowing wastegate passage, so you may get creep if you try to run a low boost. Then again, i don't know how big it's flapper/port is. On the chinese versions of the same housing, they are much too small.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

RB25 or 20 turbo is a bang on recommendation. Those things are ceramic wheel smallish turbine T3 style turbos. You can even get a plastic wheel compressor wheel which keeps the rotational weight down as well (to help spool). It is also a ball bearing turbo. This should spool very fast and give you instant torque probably in and around low 2000s. Don't push them over about 260whp though. Be much happier no higher than the stock 230-250 it came with. 

Seeing as you're in europe, I believe the Skylines are more plentiful there and perhaps available? 

Mark

Edited by mtnickel

• 2 weeks later...

Dude, the 18G you had was perfect.

Just because you can make 280HP, doesn't mean you have to. A 13G is too small. A 14B is borderline too small. A 16T would be fine. An 18G is fine.

Bolt it on and go.

• 2 weeks later...

25681439223_c154a4caf6_c.jpg

Here's a question, did they give you the stock oil feed banjo bolt??

I'm using this turbo on my Honda for fun and want to make sure I have the proper oil restrictor for the ball bearing turbo. If you have they bolt, wonder if you could measure it's oriface diameter for me.

I don't have it. Can I get them from Nissaan?

The banjo bolt? I'm sure you could order it. However, may not be useful if you're oil feed line kit uses a different AN style of adapters. Often times you can get restrictor adapters with your aftermarket line kit. Though we would both then need to know what size of restrictor. Could just go with what garret recommends for their ball bearing turbos.

Regards,

Mark