HybridZ

OhkaZ - Turbocharged 1UZ 280z

I have had a build log up on Ratsun for sometime but I figured it was time I post it up over here as it may get more love here. I have owned this car since 2010 but I only really started making progress in the past few years when I moved to Oregon. The name of the car came from a Japanese rocket powered suicide plane, the elongated nose made me think s30. Here she is as she presently sits.

VGEj1Gkl.jpg

QsOxdEQl.jpg

The present mods include:

-T3 coils 225/250

-T3 front camber plates

-Urethane bushings

-Upgraded front and rear sway bars

-Xenon airdam

-imsa spoiler

-Work VS Mesh 17x9 Wheels

-E30 Recaros

-Nissan Cherry taillights

Now for what's going on right now. I am going to be pulling the sickly l28 I have in there to pulled this weekend to make room for my 4 liter 1UZ from a LS400 which will be paired with a Borg Warner S366 ar .83 with a upgraded billet compressor wheel. It will be running MS3x with full sequential ignition and injection. I also an adapter plate for a 240sx 5 speed which I will be using. Paired with a Flywheel from a turbo 2nd gen MR2.

d6JU0kol.jpg

aDsWUE8l.jpg

The parts I have:

- Rear disk swap

- 1uz-fe with rear sump pan

- MK3 Supra mounts

- 240sx transmission adapter

- Oil filter relocation kit

- Borg Warner S366 Turbo twin scroll

- Suzuki GSXR COPs

- Turbo MR2 Flyweel

- Turbo MR2 Stage 3 Pressure plate

- ACT stage 3 6 puck 240sx clutch plate

What's still needed:

- 4 piston front brakes

- Fuel pressure Regulator

- Fuel pump

- Twin 38mm waste gates

- Megasquirt

- Shortened driveshaft

- Exhaust

- Intercooler

- Cold side piping

- BOV

This weekend is the plan to pull the motor, get the engine bay cleaned up and get the new motor mounted into place so everything else can be mocked. I am going to be moving in April and the car is going to my friends place for the turbo manifold and exhaust.

Edited by monk3y

I originally started building this as a budget swap and that snow balled as soon as I thought about turboing it. My adapter plate can also work with 350 and 370z transmissions. That's my next step of I kill this transmission.I was wrong,I actually have a sr20 trans which is a little bit stronger from look at the internals side by side.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I completely forgot to update this, a lot has happened since I posted this. The motor is now in the car all bolted up asides from the transmission crossmember and mount which needs modification. 

O3iCfXll.jpg

I am working on turbo placement, my friend is giving me hand with the welding as I don't presently have a welder. The turbo placement is going to get in the way of the radiator placement so that alone with the intercooler will be on the other side of the core support. 

qpLH3CQl.jpg

8nRP1Url.jpg

A few more parts have come in, which I am excited about. All of the exhaust vbands and the T4 flange. As well as a Synapse R35V BOV which I got a huge discount. 

PO79EeDl.jpg

jCOByQll.jpg

Where'd you get that spoiler. I'm looking for one just like it. The car looks awesome.

I picked it up from craigslist a few years back. It's an older imsa 3 piece spoiler. 

I'm curious as to the offset on the Work VS wheels.

That I don't remember. They are flipped lips and were something like a +41 offset I believe. 

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I have done this with my 240z sc400 1uz, holset hx40, r154 mk3 supra trans. i broke a shift fork bolt out of the r154. Friend has a tubro 1uz 280z and the s13 trans, he exploded 2nd gear. went with a 350z trans and its holding up fine.i may switch to the cd009 if i come across one. Just a fair warning and heads up.

I have a fresh Marlin Crawler built R154 with a new, unused Tech2 Motorsports lengthened shift rod and cover as well as their aluminum driveshaft also new and unused. I also have the Spec twin disc/flywheel clutch combo that came with it. Both only have 1,700 miles on them with receipts from the previous owner. Contact me via PM if you want some more info.

post-736-0-28070700-1482845245_thumb.jpg

post-736-0-38962100-1482845264_thumb.jpg

post-736-0-98335400-1482845296_thumb.jpg

post-736-0-31376900-1482845305_thumb.jpg

I have done this with my 240z sc400 1uz, holset hx40, r154 mk3 supra trans. i broke a shift fork bolt out of the r154. Friend has a tubro 1uz 280z and the s13 trans, he exploded 2nd gear. went with a 350z trans and its holding up fine.i may switch to the cd009 if i come across one. Just a fair warning and heads up.

Good to know for me too. I've been reading more about the 1UZ and considering it as a swap down the road. Not as much aftermarket or power as the LS engines, but definitely more unique and cheaper considering everyone and their mother is swapping the LS engines.

• 1 year later...

Well I totally got caught up in life for awhile but I am back!!! Since I last posted I moved out of my shop and into another house, and have gone through a daily project cars which presently has me with a 1990 Toyota Celica All-Trac.

Z Update: 

Progress since I last posted is quite extensive so I will just list what has been installed and built. 

-Twin Disk QuarterMaster Clutch with organic disks

-Q45 Differential with Nismo CLSD center

-T3 Mustache Bar

-T3 Shortnose R200 Mount 

-Modified rear control arm crossbar

-Hybrid Z31T/Pathfinder CV axles

-240sx rear disk brakes

-Hawk pads in all 4 corners

-Rebuilt S30 Calipers (Will likely be replaced)

-AEM 380lph fuel pump in an external surge tank

-Carter low pressure lift pump

-1/2 aluminum fuel likes front to back (will be redoing with braided AN line probably)

-Aeromotive FPR

-GKtech 350z shifter

-Widened Work wheels to 17x9.5 and 17x11.5

-CX Racing Intercooler

-Ron Davis Radiator

-Synase R35 blow off valve

I also made my turbo collector pipe and down pipe as you will see in the pictures which I am pretty proud of asides from how close the downpipe is to certain things. I have way more pictures than I am posting but a lot of them are stuck on my old broken phone and I haven't had a chance to recover them as of yet. 

8zaJQLSh.jpg

UmiWdVRh.jpg

lQTGTxTh.jpg

oRajEQ3h.jpg

3C8trenh.jpg

tl1aJ1Lh.jpg

UNSLSN4h.jpg

rIw3dXvh.jpg

Edited by monk3y

I am going to be redoing my upper core support in favor of a removable unit for easy of maintenance and I just don't like how I did it honestly. I just bought a tig welder so tat opens up my possibilities and I decided I a going to take a Cusco strut bar and turn that into a removable aluminum upper core support. The lower will be the same 1.5" DOM tubing I have in there now. 

wWpLaz3h.jpg

Expect more updates to come a little more regularly than this last update. I will try and post some more pictures after I recover the old pictures from my broken phone. 

If you've got a TIG, why not just make the removable car out of a steel bar instead of paying Cusco a bunch of money to use their bar for something it's not meant to be used as?

You can get a steel tube and weld some bar ends onto it for pretty cheap. I go to Clackamas Steel for sheet metal, tubing, steel stock. I'm pretty sure they carry aluminum as well. It would be worth a call.

I did consider that, but since I don't have a tube bender and I would prefer the bar not just being straight.  I actually found a "Cusco" bar on craigslist for $40 though looking at it again it's not a real Cusco bar making it unsure about the quality so I may revisit that idea potentially.

Find a local 4x4 shop or club, someone will have a bender they can help you with for beer if you supply the metal. 

Any pictures of your surge tank setup? I've debated between just about every setup out there except a fuel cell, (full custom tank, vetteworks weld in kit, fox body tank, 98-02 F-body Camaro, etc.). The surge tank setup, even with adding the extra plumbing and an additional pump, seems to be the best solution if keeping the factory tank and running a FI v8. I just haven't seen a tank setup I'm crazy about yet.  Thanks for the updates and keep the pictures come!

Forgot to ask, how is the clutch on the street? Which friction material did you choose? I've talked to PTT and Quartermasters about running a 7.25 with my vk56/T56 combo once the bellhousing adapter is sorted.  PTT recommended their organic (thick and no as touchy on engagement) but it's not rated very high on torque. Both mfg didn't see the 7.25  lasting long or being great around town without going full carbon. Curious what your experience has been, sorry for the bombardment of questions, sitting in the Dr office waiting for my appointment so nothing else to do but cruise the interwebs.

Edited by 1969honda

I am considering that or just grabbing that strut bar, I may have a friend with a bender now that I think about it. 

I can grab some pictures a bit later.  I used a cheap surge tank with the pump in the actual surge tank itself. I have been considering revisiting the way I did it as an in-tank pump solution with some fuel baffling may be a better solution. But I really should just get it running and see if it is worth it to redo the setup from there. 

I don't know how the clutch is on the street yet I haven't gotten that far yet. I actually picked up this clutch setup used so I bought a pair of PTT orgainic disks which according to them are good for 400lb ft tq per disk so should be good for around 800 which is way above where I need it to be so I should be fine in that department. The issue I am going to run into is with the clutch slave cylinder on the 350z transmission not pulling the throw out bearing away from the clutch. I am going to switch to a pull style slave cylinder I think. No problem I am happy to answer questions. 

Here is some pictures of the surge tank setup, I still need to put the car back on the jack stands so I couldn't get the best angles. 

e3SLpmJh.jpg

BDZPMr9h.jpg

I ended up grabbing that strut are as the woman I bought it from even produced an original receipt with the strut bar. For the $40 I spent on it I seriously cannot complain.