HybridZ

Ls to 300zx Z32 trasmission

Modify.It

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone has come up with any sort of alternate solution to mounting the LS to the Z32 transmission. Is it possible to move the transmission forward and modify the bellhousing to fit properly? I am apprehensive to use an adapter plate if there is a way around it. Also sounds like I could save money here. Please do not reply with "use the LOJ kit" because that is not what I am asking.

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

...What?

Like move the input shaft of the transmission closer so that you don't have to run a custom thickness flywheel and use a stock flywheel? Or are you thinking if you don't run the adapter plate it will put it at a close enough distance that you don't have to run a custom flywheel?

What are you going to do about a starter? 

Can you weld cast aluminum? Can you find anywhere that can weld cast aluminum?

How are you going to get the bolt pattern to match up without an adapter plate?

You are asking for an absolute ton of headache. You would have to first off cut a massive hole in your bell housing to get values of distance and thickness. After you get all those values you would throw that bell housing away. Then you would get another bell housing and cut it at the right distance that the input shaft is close enough to engage the stock pilot bushing. Then you would have to cut a native bell housing and weld on the bell housing half from the Z32 so that you don't have to run an adapter plate. Making sure that the weld will be enough to hold up the transmission and to not crack or twist with the load transferred from the gears. The mating surfaces on the bell housings would have to happen to line up and the surfaces would have to be chamfered for a good weld and you would have to plane the surfaces after welding to account for warpage from putting that much heat into welding something that is essentially a massive heat sink. 

This is a very bad idea. I don't know your plans, but no you don't need to an LOJ kit, just get a T56 transmission. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tremec 5 speed is good, unless you really need a six speed which is relatively heavy and clunky. As has already been said, to fit a gearbox which does not bolt up requires either modifying the bell housing or using an adapter plate. That's it.

Gee, I wonder how it's really done.

IMAG0540_zpsa8c697c4.jpg

Oh wait, I do it here for many different cars...no big deal.

Yes, you can do exactly what you want, but you will need the following to do it properly.

1 LS engine block, stripped, with main caps.

1 LS bellhousing, auto/manual doesn't matter.

1 Z32 bellhousing

1 alignment jig, fitted to the input shaft bearing bore and the main bearing OD of the engine block.

1 tape measure

Acetone, stainless wire brushes, TIG welder, etc.

Do it properly and you won't have any problems. But, it'll cost you quite a bit unless you have the proper tools and machining/welding skills.

• 2 weeks later...

Gee, I wonder how it's really done.

IMAG0540_zpsa8c697c4.jpg

Oh wait, I do it here for many different cars...no big deal.

Yes, you can do exactly what you want, but you will need the following to do it properly.

1 LS engine block, stripped, with main caps.

1 LS bellhousing, auto/manual doesn't matter.

1 Z32 bellhousing

1 alignment jig, fitted to the input shaft bearing bore and the main bearing OD of the engine block.

1 tape measure

Acetone, stainless wire brushes, TIG welder, etc.

Do it properly and you won't have any problems. But, it'll cost you quite a bit unless you have the proper tools and machining/welding skills.

That's some incredible work you've done. I think I'm going to end up fabbing an adapter plate anyways, but thank you all for the replies!!

• 4 weeks later...