HybridZ

Brake Line Length Question

Hey everyone, I've got a favor to ask.

I have a 1973 240z and I'm looking to remove the brake fluid switch. My existing one was damaged in a fire which destroyed the internal components of the switch, allowing the two brake circuits to mix- so in the case of a leak in just one of the brake circuits, my entire brake system will fail. After some searching I have found that brake switches are very difficult to source and also very expensive when they do come around. I'll be searching parts cars for one in the long term, but I'd like to get my car back on the road in the meantime. Here's a link to the part I'm talking about in case there is any confusion.

http://www.zcarsource.com/brake-fluid-switch-240z-260z-280z-70-75-used_8_77812_65000.html

Since I'm having such a hard time finding one of these, my plan is to remove the switch entirely and replace it with a brake tee for the front brake system and then run the brake line for the front brakes to the tee, then run the rear brake line directly to the brake proportioning valve. What I need then is to find the length of rear brake line I need to run straight from the mc to the proportioning valve (the red line in the drawing below). Unfortunately, I'm currently a student in San Luis Obispo and my car is up in the bay area, so I can't measure out the length of brake line I need. My plan is to do the repair next weekend, but I need to pick up the brake lines before I head up to the bay on Friday. So, the favor I'm asking you- Z community, is for someone with a 240z to measure the length of line required to run from the front of the mc to the brake proportioning valve (again, it's the red line in the picture)- you could mock it up using a coat hangar or whatever method you think works best. If you could also measure the length of the stock line running from MC to the brake fluid switch (green) that would be very helpful, as mine has a hole in it, but if not I may be able to find that by searching around. The length doesn't need to be exact as I'll be purchasing pre-flared lines from O'reilly- I just don't want to buy a 3 foot length if i only need 2, etc. 

Brake%20setup.jpg

(Rear brake line- Red, Front Brake line- Green, Brake Tee Fitting- yellow)

Thanks for your help everyone!

PKZ

Edited by pkz

I have a few of those brake switch blocks here. Not so hard to find if you ask in the right places, eh? Drop me a PM or email to z240@shaw.ca.

Might I be foreward if I suggest you take a piece of 14 gauge solid core house wire that bends easy and holds its shape (home depot has it by the foot), and do the approx. length measurement yourself in the comfort of your own garage?

Edited by z240

Those pre-flared lines are kind of hard to work with, and very easy to kink. 

Probably won't find a T with metric inputs either, which means you will need to either convert at one end or buy a couple adapters, For a price comparison I think to convert to metric I think the fittings was almost 10$ a side, that means 30$ per tee vs 5$ a couple 3/8-24 fittings. 

You can buy a roll of cunifer line from auto zone for ~40$ for a roll and have enough to do most of the car.