HybridZ

Gen III Truck water pump conversion

It appears from posts on LS1tech.com that the water pump from a 2010 Camaro  with the 6.2 l engine uses the same offset from the block as do the LM7 and LQ4 iron block truck engines.  Moreover, the water "pipe" is  horizontal and located low on the driver's side.  http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/attachments/conversions-hybrids/267367d1291698554-lq4-into-3rd-gen-1972-nova-21.jpg and

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee208/modi_photos/WaterPump003x_zps6632715f.jpg .

The advantage for me is the ability to convert to an LS1 alternator location and still use the truck 135 amp alternator and an straighter radiator hose route.

While my local Chevrolet agency will sell this at retail for around $800 or my first born and first choice on my Redbone bitch's next litter, take out's are listed at McKindrick's Racing and Ebay.  Apparently, it is only on the 6.2 L option of 2010 and up Camaros.  LS 3 water pumps from other vehicles appear not to have the same offset and the water pipe is located on the passenger side of the pump pulley.

I've order one for my swap and if it does not fit as advertised, I'll post the bad news here.

G

Edited by zgeezer

I bought an LS3 crate engine and originally wanted to use an engine driven fan for cooling. There is no provision for the screw on fan on the newer LS water pumps and the older LS water pumps also had bigger bearings in them to accommodate the heavier weight of the fan. My friend gave me his old, worn out water pump from his 5.3 2003 Suburban and, when I compared the two, the offset to the pulley was at least an inch different between the two. I wonder if the LS3 crate engine water pump is different than the ones that came in the LS3 Camaros and Corvettes. Anybody know that? Call me crazy but, even though I have a Taurus fan setup in the works, if I could find an LS water pump that had the same offset as the one that came on my crate LS3, I'd still consider going the engine driven fan route.

Mike Mileski

Tucson, AZ 

Ok. My L99 balancer measures 4-3/8 tip to stern. And eyeballing the seal areas on the 4th generation camaro and the L99 to the tip of the balancer there seams to be about 5/8 to 3/4 difference. With the L99 being longer. So I'm thinking LS3 is Fbody distnsce and L99 is truck distance

I've received my water pump and compared it to a pump off a LS3 crate motor.  They are the same as to the radiator connections as both have driver's side horizontal piping.  The Camaro pump is spaced about .75 inch forward.  The original truck pump mounted very close to the engine block and the pump "snout" that supported the pulley and mechanical fan was spaced forward.  The Camaro pump uses the same pulley as the LS3 crate engine, but the entire pump stands away from the engine block.  Truck water pump spacers used to mount passenger car pumps give the same effect.  I'll mount photos if I can figure out how to reduce a very large file down to something less than one megabyte in size.

LS1tech forums state that the straight thermostat cover from  1998-2000 Ford Windstar 3.8 v6 will bolt to a later Gen III water pump.  Don't know if the GEN III thermostat would fit; but one would think the Ford 'stat might work.

Z

• 2 weeks later...

I've received my water pump and compared it to a pump off a LS3 crate motor.  They are the same as to the radiator connections as both have driver's side horizontal piping.  The Camaro pump is spaced about .75 inch forward.  The original truck pump mounted very close to the engine block and the pump "snout" that supported the pulley and mechanical fan was spaced forward.  The Camaro pump uses the same pulley as the LS3 crate engine, but the entire pump stands away from the engine block.  Truck water pump spacers used to mount passenger car pumps give the same effect.  I'll mount photos if I can figure out how to reduce a very large file down to something less than one megabyte in size.

LS1tech forums state that the straight thermostat cover from  1998-2000 Ford Windstar 3.8 v6 will bolt to a later Gen III water pump.  Don't know if the GEN III thermostat would fit; but one would think the Ford 'stat might work.

Z

The retaining bolt bore centers for the Ford Windstar straight thermostat cover are very slightly narrower than the  late Camaro pump.  The solution is to run a 5/16th inch drill down both Ford bores.  This opens up the Windstar retaining bolt bores just enough to allow the use of a stock GM 10mm thermostat cover bolts.  The Ford thermostat appears to fit nicely.

The Ford Windstar thermostat cover is a $9:00 item.  An aftermarket GM straight cover will run about $50.00.  That would be billit item with o rings as a seal.  The Ford item uses a simple flat gasket.

g

Try Rock Auto-In alot of apps you can get AC-Delco parts cheap.I am putting an ls motor into a c4 vette for a customer.I needed to convert a truck 5.3 to a corvette belt drive because the crank pulley rides behind the rack&pinion.I got a c5 vette crank pulley/balencer for $50-off brand though.That late model camaro pump is about the same as summit-$155.