HybridZ

Shifter rattle, and it's not the bushings.

The Crusher

I have a 71, 240z, with an early 5 speed transmission that was rebuilt some years ago, maybe 10 or so. The shifter rattle is louder and more noticeable in 1st, 3rd, and 5th, but is happening in all gears. It feels and sounds like bad shifter bushings, so I pulled the shifter and all the bushings are in great shape. If I hold the shifter, it gets quiet and feels pretty smooth, just a little sloppy. The motor feels smooth and I'm not hearing any odd noises. I'm just looking for some insight before I start tearing my car apart, and hoping for an easy fix too...lol

Starting from easy.

Shifter knob loose? No.

Shifter pin worn down? No. It's new.

Shifter trim loose? No. New boot, double checked.

Shifter bushings worn down? No, also new, replaced old good bushings.

Trans mount loose? Need to check on this.

Trans mount rubber isolator worn down/loose? Newish, less than 1 year ago. Will double check as well.

Transmission has sufficient fluid? Filled about 1 year ago, no leaks, but will double check.

Drive shaft in balance? No, drive and half shafts all done about 2 or 3 years ago. Frequency of rattle seems the same through all gears. Doesn't seem to increase with speed. Thanks for the feedback, will do some checking on the problem this weekend. I'll post my findings as well. Although, I wouldn't mind getting a close ratio to replace what I have. Anyway, first things first.

I had a little time tonight so I decided to pull the shifter out again. As I go to pull off the shift knob, it's tight, but felt a little funny. It's a wooden knob with a metal insert, and the insert has developed a little play between itself and the wood. Needless to say, the rattle is coming from the knob. A test drive confirmed it. Glad it was cheap and easy. Thanks for the feedback, it helped in the long run.