HybridZ

Crank pulley/harmonic damper KA bolt and Volvo washer

calZ

I'm putting a new, 2-groove damper on my car to accommodate the AC I'm installing. I've read that the bolt off a KA and a Volvo washer are improvements over the stock parts. However, I've never been able to find part numbers or the exact applications these parts come from. Can anyone help me out with some part numbers?

Raised center goes towards crank if you end up getting this.

If you end up installing it like this, be very careful that the raised center does not make contact with the crank snout when the bolt is fully tightened.  If the washer contacts the snout, then you will not achieve proper clamping force on the damper/oil slinger/oil pump drive/sprocket stack, leaving only the woodruff keys to hold everything in the proper timing orientation and drive the timing chain, oil pump and accessory belts.  This usually doesn't end well.

You can go to the trouble of measuring the clearance, or you can give up maybe 1/16" of thread penetration and just flip the washer and not worry about it...

Also this has been discussed before, try a search on crank damper failures.

Edited by TimZ

Yeah, I saw a post from someone (might have been you) mentioning how they ruined a couple dampers before figuring out that the washer wasn't seating all the way. Thanks for the advice.

Just to clarify - the washer was seating all the way.  The problem was that it was seating on the crank snout instead of the damper!

That would work great too. I see they mentioned it being sourced from Japan, but they also say they stock it. Is there a big delay when ordering them or would it be here quickly?

I ordered mine and it took 3 days to get to me.

If you end up installing it like this, be very careful that the raised center does not make contact with the crank snout when the bolt is fully tightened.  If the washer contacts the snout, then you will not achieve proper clamping force on the damper/oil slinger/oil pump drive/sprocket stack, leaving only the woodruff keys to hold everything in the proper timing orientation and drive the timing chain, oil pump and accessory belts.  This usually doesn't end well.

You can go to the trouble of measuring the clearance, or you can give up maybe 1/16" of thread penetration and just flip the washer and not worry about it...

Also this has been discussed before, try a search on crank damper failures.

Good info on that, I didn't think to check that. I'll double check tonight on it.

Good info on that, I didn't think to check that. I'll double check tonight on it.

You wouldn't think it would be an issue, but I found out the hard way that it can be.  It just underscores the fact that you really need to be diligent with parts like this.

The Nissan Comp or the Kameari bolts are both good parts, just make sure you check fitment!  Also, as I recall both of these bolts are longer than the stock piece, so you should also check to make sure the threads are clear in the crank snout, and that the bolt doesn't bottom out early.

All particulars were on JeffP's Extreme 280ZXT Page I believe... Photos and all.

Another thing Japanese Builders do is eliminate the Woodruff key, and put in a single slot and traditional key to prevent the failures related to the Woodruff going wobbly.

Yeah, when I see guys asking about these parts and specific part numbers Jeff's page always pops into the back of my head "I thought JeffP put all that on his crankshaft bolt spiel?"

Hahahaha, there you go, "part numbers"! LOL

Seems like the part number for the bolt may have been transcribed incorrectly on JeffP's site.

For reference, the Volvo part number is 1336822, which appears to be correct.

The Nissan part number referenced is 12309-29500 which doesn't even appear to be an obsolete number...

I'll continue to research, but I don't anticipate actually ordering this for some time. Perhaps someone who has done this could verify the correct part number?

Did some cross-referencing and came up with 12309-29S00 which lends itself to the theory that it was simply incorrectly transcribed theory.

Can anyone verify this is indeed correct?

I came across a few threads mentioning JeffP's page and the incorrect part number, I'd like to get the correct one on here so we can put this one to rest.

Edit: Thank you for verifying Sam, looks like this is indeed the correct part #.

Edited by LanceVance