HybridZ

Hawks Motor & Trans Mounts - Install with Pics!

When I cut my trans tunnel, I cut it a little smaller than the mount itself.  Then I massaged the holes open with a carbide bit until it fit snugly.  It worked really well however mine isn't exactly level.  My driver side sits a little lower.  Maybe that is being a little picky but it should still be functional.  I also had to make a 1/2" steel spacer for where the tranny bolts to the mount.  I wanted the shift as high up in the trans tunnel as I could get.

Another thing I did was prime and seamseal my mount, but I didnt NOT paint over it yet.  I want to see if I get any stress cracks or fatigue from the motor/trans combo.  I have yet to see how it holds up.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that your fuel pump mafia?  I'm running the Walbaro and its hates pulling fuel over pushing.... not sure what your set up is but you may want to get that closer to your fuel tank.  I went through 2 pumps (burned up) before I got it right with fuel flow (gravity) and location. 

Is that your fuel pump mafia?  I'm running the Walbaro and its hates pulling fuel over pushing.... not sure what your set up is but you may want to get that closer to your fuel tank.  I went through 2 pumps (burned up) before I got it right with fuel flow (gravity) and location. 

That is my post filter mounted down there.  I made a bracket that extends from my fuel cell cage so it is really close to the cell.  

20160521_123950_zpsi55kveid.jpg

20160521_120634_zps75szhrzl.jpg

• 1 month later...

Awesome thread, MECH-E. I am about to tackle my fuel cell area. Do you have more pictures of your design or a thread that you used prior to designing yours? I am just trying to get more ideas. Also, love the mounts. I am debating on how I want to mount my LS6/T56. I look forward to seeing this build move forward!

With the engine and transmission sitting so low and the rear differential sitting so much higher have you looked at your drive shaft angle/degree?  Just wondering as my John's kit (sits higher) with 4L80E was a bitch with the angle/degree being 6.3 degree's...way to much driveshaft angle.

If you have the patience to read through a build thread, most of it is posted on mine.  Any questions you have I'd be happy to help.  

Awesome thread, MECH-E. I am about to tackle my fuel cell area. Do you have more pictures of your design or a thread that you used prior to designing yours? I am just trying to get more ideas. Also, love the mounts. I am debating on how I want to mount my LS6/T56. I look forward to seeing this build move forward!

Zfan1, I am not sure what my driveline geometry is either but it seems to be close to inline with the rear diff.  I have a 3/4" spacer between the tranny bushing and the trans tunnel mount to get my shifter up higher.  If anyone knows of an easy way to measure the geometry I would be willing to do this and post up the results.  

With the engine and transmission sitting so low and the rear differential sitting so much higher have you looked at your drive shaft angle/degree?  Just wondering as my John's kit (sits higher) with 4L80E was a bitch with the angle/degree being 6.3 degree's...way to much driveshaft angle.