HybridZ

CONFIRMED L28 with RB25 Flywheel and 350Z Clutch

83turbo280zx

I haven't had to clearance any bellhousing yet-but then again I'm using a 12lb CrMo steel billet flywheel, and an Exedy 350Z replacement clutch. I have over 1/4" in a 71B bellhousing.

Which clutch and flywheel are you using?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if because it's an earlier 5 speed that the bell housing casting was a little tighter than the later ZX trannies, or if the clutch cover was a little out of tolerance, but it rubbed enough to slow the cranking down. 

attachicon.gifIMG_3670.JPG

Did the cover only rub in one spot, not all three?  Seems like you're saying that something was off with the cover.  

A measurement at the rubbing point might help future people, with reference to Xnke's post about different covers.  L series flywheels seem to be getting hard to find in general (the 225 mm is essentially NA from normal sources) so swaps like this will be the only way eventually.. 

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't had to clearance any bellhousing yet-but then again I'm using a 12lb CrMo steel billet flywheel, and an Exedy 350Z replacement clutch. I have over 1/4" in a 71B bellhousing.

Which clutch and flywheel are you using?

I think it has to do with you using a name brand and us using an el cheapo for developmental purposes, I probably should've just bought a FX-Racing (Gripforce) Which is re-boxed exedy parts bought in bulk so they can sell them so cheap.

We used the XTD RB26 chrome-moly flywheel and a XTD 350z clutch. I've read in a few different places the XTD clutch plates are thicker than some of the other brands, maybe they use a lesser quality steel, therefore reinforce it by giving it more mass? That's the only explanation I have.

Did the cover only rub in one spot, not all three?  Seems like you're saying that something was off with the cover.  

A measurement at the rubbing point might help future people, with reference to Xnke's post about different covers.  L series flywheels seem to be getting hard to find in general (the 225 mm is essentially NA from normal sources) so swaps like this will be the only way eventually.. 

I will measure when we pull the transmission back out to put this spacer in, as well as provide some detailed pictures.

Also you can use this RB25 flywheel with a stock 225mm or 240mm clutch if you prefer to not use a 350z clutch, the flywheel surface area is 250mm, so you can obviously step down and still get a lightweight flywheel much cheaper than a L series Fidanza.

Ok I finally have the first prototype of the spacer made, it fits fairly snug, you have to lightly tap it onto the back of the crank, it is slightly tapered so it bottoms out against the back of the crank on the chamfered area.

I can have these made relatively cheap, so for anyone wanting to do this flywheel swap properly, I can ship this spacer to you anywhere in the continental US for $30.

Right now I'm having a limited run made, so If I get more orders than I can fill, there will be a slight delay of 2 weeks.

Here are the pics of the spacer.

IMG_3769_zpswbdsju69.jpg

IMG_3770_zpspzxqkmwd.jpg

I have a t -5 with xtd 350z clutch and xtd rb25 fly wheel mine tuns over buy had but have not started it yet Iam planing to fire it up this weekend and will post my results

I'm speculating that the t5 bell housing is cast with a little more clearance considering it was built for the 240mm clutch while the FS571WB was built with a 225mm clutch in mind.

Did you use anything as far as a spacer on the crankshaft? If not I would highly advise buying one of these spacers.

$40 is cheap insurance considering you are gambling with your limbs, bell housing, crank, engine, etc. if you're only using the bolts to keep it centered.

Edited by 83turbo280zx

I'm in for one.  Clutch needs to be replaced, but have been waiting and reading to figure out the best option for me and as long as it clears (or can be made to clear) the T-5 bellhousing then this seems to be it.  

I'm speculating that the t5 bell housing is cast with a little more clearance considering it was built for the 240mm clutch while the FS571WB was built with a 225mm clutch in mind.

You're exhibiting signs of cognitive bias dissonance.  The 71B used the 240mm clutch on the 2+2 cars.

You're exhibiting signs of cognitive bias dissonance.  The 71B used the 240mm clutch on the 2+2 cars.

That doesn't mean the 71b wasn't designed with the 225mm clutch in mind.  They could have created the 240mm clutch specifically to fit in the 71b bellhousing to prevent from having to change both the transmission and clutch for the 2+2.  Just looking at the T-5 vs 71b, the bellhousing looks a lot larger.

Like i said, just pure speculation, don't have the measurements to prove it.

I can however prove that a 240mm clutch does in fact bolt to the RB flywheel, so if you just want a cheaper light flywheel and want to keep the stock or whatever performance turbo clutch you have, you can keep it.

this also comes in handy if you don't want to potentially grind into your bell housing, for a true bolt in.

Just joking.  You often hear that "the engineers must have done it this way for a reason" but nobody knows for sure.  Maybe Nissan  designed the pressure plate to fit the transmission.  Maybe they just got lucky.  

Just joking.  You often hear that "the engineers must have done it this way for a reason" but nobody knows for sure.  Maybe Nissan  designed the pressure plate to fit the transmission.  Maybe they just got lucky.  

Or maybe the first castings of the FS571wB bell housing rubbed a 225mm and they went oh shit, moar clearance!!! lol

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Is this the correct setup? or is there something better?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/XTD-STAGE-4-CLUTCH-CHROME-MOLY-FLYWHEEL-KIT-SKYLINE-RB20DET-RB25DET-TURBO-/191876879226?hash=item2cacc0d37a:m:mnu8kMKE9xj4dEBT-mHDbKg&vxp=mtr

Also If someone has a t5 bellhousing for sale I need one. Got several trans but no bells. 

Thanks!

Edited by TONY C

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...