HybridZ

SDS information

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I own a '82 280ZXT. I have read up on the SDS system and I am strongly considering buying it. The only problem is I have heard of some potential problems with mounting the magnetic pickup sensor when A/C is installed in the Z. Has anybody installed the SDS system on a Z that is equipped with A/C?

If so, how was it done,and how much trouble did you have doing so?

And is the group discount on the SDS system still available?

Any additional info. would be appreciated.

first you can still get the 20% off thru me..

second.. i cant see how A/C will affect the magnetic pickup part??

i know someone who has a audi with the SDS and i think it has air..

the harmonic balancer just has one more pulley groove for a/c so how does this make the magnets a problem>

a little more work installing the hall sensor as the ac pump is in the place it normally goes but ZXT 81 cars have a sensor above the pulley so you should be able to mount it there ..

------------------

Mike

mike@fonebooth.com

http://www.fonebooth.com/brakes.html

raceparts and brake upgrades.

The magnets go in the pulley/damper and the Hall Sensor must be mounted so that there is a gap (I forgot how much) between the sensor and the magnets. How are you guys planning on mounting the Hall Sensor? On mine, w/o a/c, I fabbed a bracket that was bolted where the a/c is mounted on the block. The bracket went forward then angled in towards the engine so that the sensor was properly aligned with the magnets. The bracket had front to back movement on the block to properly set the gap and the part that angled in towards the block was slotted so the sensor had in/out adjustment to align with the magnets.

Allen's question is, if you still have a/c, where/how are you planning on mounting the bracket?

I do not have a pic but here is a drawing I did sometime back of the bracket I fabbed. Hope it makes sense.

sensor.jpg

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

Scottie's GNZ

Guest Anonymous

I am glad to hear the discount is still available. What is the final price of the unit with the 20%off and what does that price include?

And I probably should have made myself clearer but Scottie-GNZ is correct. I want to know where else I can mount the sensor if I have A/C?

Thanks

Allen

quote:

Originally posted by scca:

first you can still get the 20% off thru me..

second.. i cant see how A/C will affect the magnetic pickup part??

i know someone who has a audi with the SDS and i think it has air..

the harmonic balancer just has one more pulley groove for a/c so how does this make the magnets a problem>

a little more work installing the hall sensor as the ac pump is in the place it normally goes but ZXT 81 cars have a sensor above the pulley so you should be able to mount it there ..

as for pricing you go off the list prices on the sdsefi.com website..

cant give you a price as each person has different desires.. there are 3 systems and many variations of each..

as i stated before 81 ZXT cars mounted a factory crank angle sensor above the pulley. i've also seen some race cars with it mounted below the timing cover.(welding a tab ontothe timing cover)

you could likely use the timing cover bolts tehmselves to attach it.. and then there's always the flywheel end.. you dont need to use the front pulley,, but it is easier..

------------------

Mike

mike@fonebooth.com

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the suggestions Mike, I will definitly check out those suggestions for mounting the sensor. A have couple more questions. I checked out the SDS website and see the acc. they offer. What acc. do you recommend? My Z will be a daily driver, and I must have my creature comforts such as A/C. And what is the deadline on getting in on the 20% off?

Thanks

Allen

end of this month would be nice if you can decide by then,,,,,

i can tell you the "most requested " options..

you would likely want to use the 3E with MSD trigger (its the cheaper kit) use the distributor to distribute the spark , add the fuel relay , 2 bar map sensor , and either a TPS or use a 240sx one(with a 240sx Tbody- or a 300zxt one ) and dont need to buy the tps. if your not going to be fiddling with it you wont need the mixture meter but some find it helpful to add for easy setup, i have access to a scope and 4gas analyzer so its not a issue to me..

most peoples setups are around $1100 total

it varied from a low of $850 to high of $1400

one person went for the D system and 10 went for E and only 2 choose the F ..

shipping is $20 ($30 if you choose the F sytem as its much heavier)hope this helps..

Mike

82 & 83 engines crank pulley has a disk on back of pulleys that was the toothed wheel on81 engines.i know because i have 81 engine in my car and a 82 engine on stand in garage.i was wondering if you could mount the magnets in the disc behind the pulleys on a 82 or 82 zxt crank pulley.you could build a pick up brackit with threaded holes on a/c compressor brackit that originally mounted crank pick up sensor for 81zxt engine.

Not sure if this is true, but I heard that you want to avoid using zx balancers/pulleys (the 3 row ones) because they have a tendancy to break apart? Can anyone offer up more info on that?

I've got a 2 row off my 240z that I hope to use, since I only need 1 row... Its a fair bit lighter.

------------------

Richard Lewis

1972 240z - L28TURBO transplant ongoing!

Drax's 72 240Z Turbo

yes i think the larger pulley isnt necessary, i changed mine over to a 70 z pulley with only one groove.

i'm same as randy i have 3 motors, a 82 in the car - 83 in the shop and a 81 in pieces ,

i will likely be using a small 3" alum billet pulley and have the magnets installed into it.. (assuming epoxy will should hold in alum)

------------------

Mike

mike@fonebooth.com

As for where to mount the magnetic sensor I removed the timing marker on the passenger side of the pulley (280zxt). I then fabricated a bracket using the holes from the timing marker. The only problem with that was that the alternator was too close for comfort to the magnetic sensor. I found a toyota cressida (80 something) and used the alt. bracket from that which allowed me to push the alt. further away from the sensor. If you need pictures let me know.

------------------

http://communities.msn.com/TurboZ

i have to run the zxt pulley cause the 81 engine needs the toothed wheel to run .plus i have working factory a/c so i need 2 pulley grooves.it gets about 100 degrees in central ca in summer and after working on fords all day i need my a/c.maybe if i worked indoors i could take a 1/2 hour ride with oout a/c.it really comes in handy on 2.5 hour ride home from thunderhill.no problems with balencer at the track.

Sorry I didn't respond to this sooner - since I'm a TEC guy, the SDS questions are usually better covered by the numerous others on the board.

I do know of a definite potential problem with the A/C car, though (BTDT). If you mount the pickup between the A/C compressor and the crank pulley, the problem can arise when the A/C clutch is turned on. There is a solenoid inside the A/C pulley assembly that rotates with the pulley. When the solenoid gets energized, it creates a strong rotating electromagnetic field, which is in the same plane as the crank pulley, and not in any particular phase relationship with it. If the pickup sees this, it will scatter the timing signal, and the engine will run very erratically, if at all.

I think that somebody already mentioned it, but the alternator can cause similar problems, as can electric fans, if they are too close.

As you might imagine, this is a very confusing scenario to debug, especially without that piece of information.

Luckily there is something that you can do. The pickup is sensitive to the polarity of the magnetic field, so it's orientation can make a difference. On the TEC, the manual's recommended mounting orientation of the pickup is to have it 'pointing' towards the center of the pickup wheel. This is the absolute worst orientation for the A/C problem. I had to rotate the pickup's orientation 90 degrees, so that the pickup points toward the front, and gets its signal from the side of the wheel, as in Scottie's drawing. This greatly diminished the problem, although every now and then, I do still get a little sputter with the A/C on. It used to be completely undriveable, though, so this is a huge improvement. Also, I have my TEC configured to cut out the A/C solenoid when I'm running any boost at all, so I don't ever get this problem at full throttle.

Also, Scottie's mounting config puts the pickup a bit farther from the A/C compressor, so that should help (I'm assuming that his drawing is a side view, and not a top view). Actually, it's probably the best compromise for isolation from any of the potential magnetic field sources.

The only problem that I can see is that it might be difficult to find a good, solid, vibration free mounting point at that location, since you'd be mounting to the oil pan, somehow. I'm guessing that this probably won't be nearly as big a problem with the SDS, though, since it's using far fewer teeth than the TEC does (3 vs 60).

• 5 years later...