HybridZ

Acesss's 1jz 280z

Acesss

Hey guys, I bought a 76' 280z awhile back and am finally getting around to starting my project. Have collected a transmission out of an 09' 370z and a 1jzgte nonvvti. I'll be using the collins adapter and their fly wheel to mate the trans to the motor. 

The Z already had a boosted L28 N42 in it. Was boosted using a BAE turbo kit that the PO installed back in the 80's

Just sorta collecting parts currently. If anyone has advice i'd appreciate it! Thanks. 

Edited by Acesss

Day I brought the car home 

F4k13ex.jpg

Before I started to pull the motor out. 

CBOCoT2.jpg

Pretty much right after I pulled the motor out. (Ignore the dent in the support bar, motor dropped about an inch as it was over it and it dented it a bit. :( )

R3fpTmr.jpg

what car was the jz out of previously?

Can't wait to see some more progress!

I was told it was pulled out of an mk3 supra. But I'm not 100% sure. 

Waiting for my adapter plate/flywheel to arrive from Collins adapters. 

Also, i'm planning on ordering the wiring specialties harness, I was wondering how much of the original wiring that runs into the bay I need? And what is that water bottle looking yellow thing on the left side of the engine bay? I've been looking but cannot find what it is called or used for.

Edited by Acesss

• 3 weeks later...

That yellow tank is a vacuum reservoir. Much of the hvac system on 280z is vacuum actuated. That tank helped maintained vacuum on those lines while under full throttle and other low vacuum situations.

Thanks! Got my Collins flywheel today, the adapter plate should be here next week. Just slowly collecting parts at this point. 

• 4 weeks later...

Any updates on using the Collins kit and the CD00X transmission? That's what I had in mind for my swap but haven't gotten a sure answer on how everything fits together

I have the trans and motor mounted together. Haven't got it in the car yet, will throw up a picture tomorrow

In all reality unless you get the Z trans for really cheap an R154 might be the cheaper way to go.

Edited by Acesss

• 2 weeks later...

Motors sitting in car, removed the power steering and A/C, replaced water pump and threw the starter on. Just waiting on my wiring harness from wiring specilaties and ill be ready to fire it up. Ill get pictures this weekend.

I was wondering what you guys running the 370/350z transmission are doing for a clutch master cylinder and the line running up to it? Thanks 

Motors sitting in car, removed the power steering and A/C, replaced water pump and threw the starter on. Just waiting on my wiring harness from wiring specilaties and ill be ready to fire it up. Ill get pictures this weekend.

I was wondering what you guys running the 370/350z transmission are doing for a clutch master cylinder and the line running up to it? Thanks 

Awesome! :2thumbs:

I'll be using a Wilwood 7/8 master for my clutch and a custom stainless line connecting to the slave. Look up "clutch master swap / upgrade 280z" on google. Should be the first link showing how he did it.

Also what are you using for your shifter?

Awesome! :2thumbs:

I'll be using a Wilwood 7/8 master for my clutch and a custom stainless line connecting to the slave. Look up "clutch master swap / upgrade 280z" on google. Should be the first link showing how he did it.

Also what are you using for your shifter?

Thanks! Ill probably be using the one Hoke makes http://hokeperformance.squarespace.com/store/vq-swap-shifter-mount

Hopefully it'll fit.

• 2 weeks later...

what type of clutch did you run with your collins adapter kit? Im planning on purchasing the collins kit soon.

I'm using an OEM one currently. Got it with very low miles. 

I know it has to be a single plate and that they have a few options on their website

• 4 weeks later...

No pictures yet. Motor came back out last week to the timing belt, water pump, and a few other things thrown on it before the wiring harness arrives. 

Should have it going back in this weekend and test fitting the Shifter from Hoke performance to make sure it'll fit. Ill take some pictures this weekend and throw them up. Also, I need to buy a fuel pump, any recommendations?

Edited by Acesss

• 2 weeks later...

When I removed the engine harness I noticed that it seems the body harness no long has a source for power? Its possible that it still does but I have no idea where it would come from lol. Any advice would be helpful

Edited by Acesss