HybridZ

MSA 2.5" Exhaust System

JSM

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I also purchased the MSA PREMIUM EXHAUST for Stock Manifold kit  and have been experiencing loud popping at the exhaust on deceleration when lifting the gas pedal on 2nd and 3rd gear. I retarded the timing from 15 to 12 btdc and then to 10 btdc and the issue is still present. It came with an Xcelerator Turbo Muffler, downpipe tuve and 2.5 diameter aluminum pipes. I have a Schneider 274F camshaft and have Heard that people with the stock camshaft have no issues whatsoever.

This is really strange as i used to have the MSA TWICE PIPES kit and never experienced any deceleration popping.

Edited by princejqman

i don't think this is caused by the exhaust and it is quite common on large diameter exhaust with no resonator. My 3.1L stroker motor with a 3" diameter exhaust and a hooker chambered muffler popped like crazy when i tip out of the throttle. what happens is that a bunch of unburned gasoline ends up in the exhaust and self ignites, at least my theory

I put a resonator in my system and it just makes it a little quieter :)

The popping comes from your fuel mixtures.  Enhanced by your cam which is less emission sensitive I'm sure.  You may not have this issue with the twice pipes, as the exhaust pulses are split between the pipes.   Each pulse is alternating between each separate exhaust system.

My own theory at least.

What are you using for carburetors.  Stock needles or modified for your cam?

Edited by HuD 91gt

I do have headers. Actually, not long ago I was experiencing popping too. Got worse and worse. I tried adjusting the carbs and it did nothing. Put new plugs in as I didn't recall if they had been done since I bought the car back. No more popping.