HybridZ

pillow ball function.

Im installing inverted coilovers on my 280z and I was going to use the stock strut mount insulators with the stock bearing but am having problems with the bearing binding so instead I plan on using camber plates. This is for the front suspension. The rear is done with the stock strut mount insulators and I had no issues there. My question is does the pillow ball replace the function of the bearing in the stock insulator? Is this what is used for steering instead of the bearing that fit in the insulator? Im prettty sure it does but just want to make sure. The coilovers are upgarage which are rebranded JIC's or so I've read. Thanks.

2016 03 17 18.09.37

Binding in the rotation, compression is fine. I fixed the issue by using the stock insulator/bearing and a thrust needle bearing under the nut. everything moves freely now. I had to drill the strut mount insulator to accommodate the larger threaded shaft of the coilover, feed it through the isolator,  add the thrust needle bearing, then the nut with the long shaft through the needle bearing and isolator. The way I originally had it the coilover shaft was tightened to the isolator so when I turned the steering wheel the coilover body turned on the piston. Now the piston and strut body turn as one.