HybridZ

1970 Serie 1 240z project car price check

HaaJeHaa

You're confusing "value" with "restoration costs". There is only a very very loose connection between the initial cost to acquire the starting point chassis and the final market value of the completed restoration.

The rarity of the resource does affect what you should expect to pay for the starting point however. How many series 1's are out there verses series 2's? The finished product will ALSO be worth more. If I have a S1 and S2 in the same crappy old wore out rust/mechanical/interior condition to sell to you, I'm darn well asking more for the S1 by about a factor of 2 or 3. But I'm talking numbers around what Johnc suggests. not 5K verses 15k!

It's emotionally difficult because the cost to restore Z's is still generally more than market value of the finished product with the only exceptions are very early or rare variants of cars. The struggle to achieve "proper recognition" continues with agonizing slowness...

Edited by z240

The whole Series 1 thing is a seller marketing trick. It's a early Z. There's no such distinction as part of Nissans manufacturing and model release history. Changes were made to the cars throughout the production timeline.

Condition is far more important to the cars value then when it was built (except for the S30s build in 1969).

See? We just can't help compartimentalizing these damn things into discrete bins can we? Now you just segregated the 69 build date cars, even though there is no official Nissan model/series whatever at the 12/69 - 01/70 point right? So now I insist we have S1 (69's) S2's and S3 Z's! Oh god, I'm just making this worse aren't I? Sorry.

While there is no official "series anything", humans just need a way of referencing the differences that did happen and group them into some sort of named entity for easy reference during discussion. The very visible vent location/def line/console change happened over a short enough time span that it became a defacto and easily referenced line in the sand. I've always thought the cars with the mix of these items (and more that were'nt visible) were the most interesting.

There are no rules about value. Rarity and Condition are always going to be the universal measuring sticks.

There is a date stamp for the 1969 cars, but your point is correct.  There really is no separation in the S30 series.  Ultimately if buyers are willing to pay more for a 1969 build car or a car with vertical defroster lines and hatch vents then the market itself is making the categories.

I hope so. I'm in marked for a new Z, altough I feel offers over 5k is unrealistic for a car that need 20-25k in parts and paint.

A factory quality single stage paint job is $15K here in California.  A full restoration on a S30 is over $50K if you're paying someone to do it.