HybridZ

Recommend a racing helmet

Zetsaz

So between recently purchasing my G37, wanting to keep my Z semi-stock looking but with some suspension mods for a bit of track use, and going to drift events regularly, I may be looking for a helmet soon. 

Drift events up here sometimes let you do a ride-along during some tandem drifting for free, but you need to have your own helmet and I know for auto-x down the road that's something I'll need.

That being said, does anyone have any suggestions that are reasonably priced and meet current spec?

They have a list of helmets that meet the requirements. A DOT approved motorcycle helmet is a nice affordable option, the testing is standardized and motorcycle safety testing is a little better the the automotive (I think dropped from a higher height etc). 

A consideration is the weight as well. A helmet is quite a bit of weight on your head. If you are lanky then a carbon or fiberglass helmet will be worth it's weight in gold for a long track day. 

My current helmet is an HJC. It was approved without any issue at all at the autocross I went to. They are a chinese brand, but they have DOT approved rating and videos show that even above DOT testing these helmets don't fail. The inner material is comfortable enough. At around 50-100$ you really can't go wrong.

Next helmet that caught my eye is the Icon Construct, real light weight and good ratings. I tend to like the motorcycle helmets because of the air channels and my secret desire to someday try and ride a motorcycle.

Hadn't really considered a motorcycle helmet. Would one really be approved for a track use in a car? I didn't know that was even an option.

If I could get away with buying a motorcycle helmet that would be great, both my brothers ride bikes, so I might in the future. 

Edited by Zetsaz

Quite a few tracks and organizations don't accept motorcycle helmets. You generally need a Snell rating. I have a Simpson helmet that I think was great for the money. What is your definition of reasonably priced? You can get something that meets all the specs and will be high quality for ~$250, but it's not going to be super light and it won't be fancy.

I guess it depends on where you are going and what you are doing.

Evergreen is the closest drifting track to me, and they allow M2000+ helmets, Solo autocross also allows M2000+ helmets, I think club oversteer (basically drifting in parking lots similar to autocross, sanctioned etc) also allows the use of M2000+ helmets. Drag strips at both evergreen and pacific also allows the use of M2000+ helmets. 

The only one that I am seeing that really mandates a Snell rated helmet is the road coarse at pacific, I haven't done much research on the ridge, but I imagine they would also require a Snell helmet.

It depends on where you are attending events. Locally a motorcycle helmet seemed to meet requirements, I figured I wanted my own helmet to get my foot in the door so I don't have to share or rent one all the events I run are essentially solo/single person on track other then karting.

If you plan on traveling for track days then a Snell rated helmet is going to be better then having to rent a helmet last minute. A 300$ helmet is going to be a drop in the bucket compared to a $500 a day track day. You can also wait till you take the training course and ask your instructor when you go for your license, or ask the club that you go through if they have any recommendations. 

2 ways to look at it:

1. Get the latest SA 2015 or 2010 that you can. That way you're covered for any auto event anywhere for a longer period of time.

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/category/FullFaceHelmets

Trade off is SA helmets should not be used for motorcycling - size of the eyeport being the usually sited downside.

2. If you're really confident you'll never venture outside of things that allow M2000+ and want a dual purpose helmet (what I currently have for autox and motorcycling) get an M helmet.

Snell FAQ

http://www.smf.org/helmetfaq#aSAMKdiff

HJC is not Chinese. They are Korean or Taiwanese i believe. Ok helmet for the money.  One thing you need to look at is the standards required required by the sanctioning body your racing in. Pretty much all Manufactures are going to make different levels of helmets that meet different requirements. HJC for instance has entry level helmets at around $80 retail. And they have the Rpha Max helmets also which can be in the $400-$600 range. The cheap ones are only going to be DOT. They will have mid level ones which are Snell also but typically the cheap ones that are snell are very heavy as they have to use heavier cheaper materials to get the strength.  Their top of the line helmets which are also snell but are still light do so by using more expensive lighter weight materials.  So make sure you do your homework on what is needed and approved for the events your going to be entered.  I come from the motorcycle world and worked at dealerships for many years and sold hundreds of helmets. Personally the only 2 brands I will wear is Aria and Shoei. Shoei being my favorite. I race motocross and do some street riding. I have a shelf full of helmets that I have wrecked in hard and then put on the shelf because one good impact is all they are intended for. Yes its expensive but what is your head worth?  Also make sure it fits. Have someone measure your head and go by the manufactures size chart. Also under stand that different helmets have different head shapes. Just because your uncomfortable in a helmet that is sized right but isnt comfortable because it is the wrong shape doesnt mean you try the next size up. I have a long oval head and many helmets dont fit me well due to that they are more of an intermediate oval shaped.  Ok Done ranting.  Not sure if that helps any but a good fitting helmet is more crucial than buying the most expensive in my opinon. Keep in mind when trying them on that it is the tightest its going to be in the showroom and it will loosen up.