HybridZ

rear toe out of wack.

After lowering my 280z I did an alignment with the string method and it appears that my rear toe is out of wack. The rear left wheel is toed out 2mm and the rear right is toed in 2 mm. I replaced all bushings with polyeurathane. I plan on adjusting the toe with the adjustable derlin bushings sold at motorsports in the future. Ive heard of people with seriously bad settings of 3/4"in or out. Mine doesnt seem that bad or is it?  How bad is my cars settings? Thanks

If you are toed out 2mm on one side, and toed in 2mm on the other side...your total toe in the rear is 0, its just your thrust angle that is off.  But really, I don't think you can be certain that your measurements weren't off by 2mm.  Personally, I wouldn't worry about it and I definitely wouldn't go and try to correct it by buying off center bushings.  

If it is even, you might be able to slot the uprights up at the top where the bolt to the chassis. Just slide everything over two millimeters and problem solved. Several of us slotted the bottom of the uprights and used a turnbuckle in the middle. This way you could loosen up one side and twist the turnbuckle to change the toe.

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/24100-the-poor-mans-rear-toe-in-adjuster/

2mm....Id blow that tiny bit off. Reconsider if it wears tires out or pulls consistent with the misalignment. 2mm is the width of your string...hardly significant. Your toe will change a little as you accelerate, decelerate or hit bumps, even with metal bushings. If you are sliding or spinning out, the alignment doesn't matter THAT much. IMHO.

Ah, if we spend all our time trying to get these cars perfect we will never get to drive them. I'm not arguing that it doesn't matter for a car trying to go 200mph or trying to win a national championship. But it probably doesn't matter for the majority of guys on the forum. I bet most cars that pass you on the way to work don't have alignments that are accurate to 2mm. Or have even ever been on an alignment rack.

Edited by RebekahsZ