HybridZ

Need help planning trip to SF

RebekahsZ

Taking family to SF in second week of June.  I need lodging advice from some of you who live in the Bay Area.  I'm gonna be booking from vrbo.com, focusing on places less than $300 a night.  For a 3 day trip, should I try to stay downtown near the Embarkaderro/Fisherman's Warf area where there is a lot of touristy stuff, or should I go over to the Sunset area where it is quieter and I can get more beds and square feet for the dollar?  I'm planning 1 day for a bus tour of SF, then a day at Napa, then a day touring parks, such as Golden Gate park.  Then we head off to Yosemite, then down to Santa Cruz, Monterey, SM, SB, LA, SD and fly out of LA after trying to visit John Coffey's old shop.  I was hot to stay downtown in SF, but I'm starting to like the idea of a quieter neighborhood.  I really only need a place to sleep.  But city street noise may be a problem that could keep me awake.  I'm rambling now....any advice from folks who know? 

Don't forget to look into the BART to maybe get around San Fran those days. You may look for places within walking distance of a Bart station. You can catch it at airport and go downtown close to Fishermans wharf etc. Finding parking, parking fees and traffic in the area is terrible!  We went a few years ago and didn't get our rental car until we left SanFran to go up the coast etc. 

Edited by Aero Z

Aero Z beat me to it regarding parking. I know some hotels charge $50/night for parking. I'm not sure what's the case with VRBO, but I think it's more important you pick a place depending on the transportation you plan on using in SF. Uber and Lyft is also useful in SF.

If you end up around Fort Mason (Marina) on Friday, go check out Off the grid! http://offthegrid.com/

Should you find yourself in Sonoma looking for a bite to eat, but a little burnt out on Sonoma, shoot over the the Fremont diner! Can be busy but it is damn good http://www.thefremontdiner.com/

I am about 40 miles north of SF, but if you need anything shoot me a PM.

-Mike

I live about 80 miles east of there.Traffic there is a nightmare.Best bet to get around town-use Uber or Lyft.Dont rent a car until you leave SF and dont rent it at the airport.the airport commision adds fees to cars rented at the airport.All of the major car rentals have offices in town away from the airport,Example-you go out to dinner and spend 30 minutes looking for a place to park-then have to pay $15-$30 to park.The bart train doesnt come close to running into all of the neighborhoods in town.There is a website called THRILLIST that has a lot of info on newly opened bars and restaurants in town.Stay away from chain/theme restaurants like Hooters and other sucker places for newb tourist.Even the catering trucks make awesome food there.The bars are currently into a classic whiskey drink-pre prohibiton thing but they take great pride in ther skills and product.The town is currently full of 25-35 year olds getting paid too much money to write code for phone apps and other software stuff.Alot of the bars sport WIFI and some of the code writers work from the bar.If you will be in SF over a weekend the hotels in the financial district can be cheaper+ more room for a good price-they get dead(no kiddies playing football in the hallway) on the weekends.I like it around Union Square-a nice central location.About Yosemite+ Santa cruz-pick one or the other.Its 4 hours from SF to Yosemite.dont not go there on a weekend-you will only see taillights.I would either go south down hwy 1 thru Santa cruz to LA.Or go to Yosemite and go over hwy 120 to hwy 395 and south into the back side of the LA area called the inland empire.Both great drives.Try to stay out of the central valley if possable-its where I live and its flat-dusty-smelly.Its where I live.After you cross it to get to Yosemite you will find out what I am talking about.California is very spread out -like Texas.If you are in the city its traffic jams.If you are in the sierra mountians its curvy roads with 1000+' drops-where you wish you were driving your z.If you want PM me for my cell# and I can meet you for lunch or dinner if you cross the valley to Yosemite.A good old fashioned road map is best when not navigating in an urban area.

Edited by randy 77zt

Adding to what randy 77zt said, if you go to Yosemite on the weekend, get there before 8am. The crowds are ridiculous and you don't want to be stuck in traffic enjoying Yosemite from inside your car. Once you find parking, there's a shuttle that can take you around to most of the popular trails. If you have time, I recommend going up to Glacier Point (driving or bus). It has an amazing view of Yosemite valley without any hiking.

Napa traffic is bad on weekends too. If you plan on going to popular wineries like Sterling or Amorosa, get there when they open to avoid big crowds.

• 2 weeks later...

Update. Got reservations for rental minivan to pick up at SFO and drop off at LAX. That hurt-could buy used S30 for the cost of that but we will be in and out of the car for 2 weeks, so I think that is money well spent. Staying 3 nights at Vrbo near Golden Gate Park. Doin NAPA on Tuesday then Yosemite on Thursday. Will drive to Mariposa and stay in a Confort Inn on Wed night and Thursday night so we just have to drive into park early to avoid the crowds, then we don't have a long drive after my outa-shape butt has hiked the falls. Heading south thru Santa Cruz then down Hwy 1 to Pacific Grove for another Vrbo for two nights/3 days. The driving to Pismo, hiking at Molero and Pfeiffer along the route. See new post seeking advice on LA. Thanks guys.

Edited by RebekahsZ

Yosemite on a weekday-if you want to see Yosemite thats your best bet.We actually got about %60 of normal snow fall in the Sierra's so you will actually see some water falling.The last few years its been kind of hit & miss.I have been trying to get the Mrs to take a weekday off but she is not an outdoors person.If its warm the is a place called Rainbow Pools thats about 5 or 6 miles north of the hwy120 park entrance-awesome swimming hole.

Yosemite on a weekday-if you want to see Yosemite thats your best bet.We actually got about %60 of normal snow fall in the Sierra's so you will actually see some water falling.The last few years its been kind of hit & miss.I have been trying to get the Mrs to take a weekday off but she is not an outdoors person.If its warm the is a place called Rainbow Pools thats about 5 or 6 miles north of the hwy120 park entrance-awesome swimming hole.

Shhh! I go to Rainbow every year, don't let the secret out! It's a great place for some cliff-diving, if you're into that. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Supper in the Cole Valley at a (can I still say Mexican?) place called Padresitos. Great food-very different from what we call "Mexican" food back home. Drove by St. Anne's Catholic Church on the way home-spectacular. Thought about going to confession this week just to see the inside (hint: I'm not Catholic)-just think of all the things I could confess..we'd be at it a while! Beautiful city. Very considerate drivers on both the 101 from the airport and in town. Id have an auto trans here for sure.

Nice! That's a pretty busy area but you're near GGP and if you want to see a nice panorama, you're right by Grand View Park. Make sure you check out Twin Peaks if it's clear out, day or night. Fog in the Sunset doesn't necessarily mean it's foggy elsewhere in the city!

Wallet is significantly lighter.

A common occurrence in the area... :P

Edited by Leon

I've spent enough today to pay for a T56 Magnum. How do you guys live like this...? My wife is like: " I'll take one of those, and one of those, and one of those!" Like we don't have any f-ing stores in Dixie!?

Edited by RebekahsZ