HybridZ

S14 rear caliper question for 280Z

I just ordered the modern motorsport S30 rear caliper adapter to replace my drums with 240sx calipers. I have read through many threads and I am confused. Can I use S14 rear calipers and is the parking brake bracket I would need to make for the S13 calipers the same for the S14s?

Also would I still use the Z31 rotor?

This is what the webpage says

"One pair of precision machined rear disc adapter

Enables a bolt on swap of a late model disc brake equipment to your 70-78Z car.

Stub axle is not required.

Features

Precision machined steel brackets

Greater available braking force

Excellent emergency brake cable geometry

Black zink plated to minimize corrosion

Benefits

Modern technology and performance

Rotors are from a 84-85 300ZX NA 4 lug

Retains emergency brake function

Late model 89-94 rear 240SX calipers

Modern day brake pad compounds"

http://www.modern-motorsports.com/z-rear-disc-cnc-brake-brackets.html

I know that S14 rear calipers will bolt up to an S13 but they have to modify their ebrake to work with the s14 calipers. Has anyone here used S14 calipers instead of the S13 calipers with these brackets?

Can I use S14 rear calipers and

is the parking brake bracket I would need to make for the S13 calipers the same for the S14s?

Also would I still use the Z31 rotor?

This is where writing skills come in to play.  The phrase "instead of" would have helped.  "S14 instead of S13".  Then "if I use S14 calipers would the Z31 rotors work?"  You wrote an unclear question then insulted somebody who gave good advice.  Good luck.  The internet is not really free.

This is where writing skills come in to play.  The phrase "instead of" would have helped.  "S14 instead of S13".  Then "if I use S14 calipers would the Z31 rotors work?"  You wrote an unclear question then insulted somebody who gave good advice.  Good luck.  The internet is not really free.

I already called modern motorsports and asked and Joe did not know the answer. Hence, why I started a thread asking about it. But instead of getting help, I am dealing with thread trolling. I have edited my first post as I have been able to gather more information. But alas I am still stumped on being able to use the S14 caliper. I was hoping that someone who has done the conversion would be able to pipe up.

Edited by juxsa

I already called modern motorsports and asked and Joe did not know the answer. Hence, why I started a thread a

Man, you should have said in Post #3 instead of your snarky reply.  You screwed up.

Man, you should have said in Post #3 instead of your snarky reply.  You screwed up.

Well, I read Miles "Call modern motorsport and ask." post as a snarky response in the same vain as "google it". If he was being genuine then I apologize. I typically don't start threads asking a question that can be answered with a quick search.

But we now have 10 posts in this thread without an answer. Do you or miles know about using S14 rear calipers on S30 cars since you both have been responding in this thread?

Edited by juxsa

Actually, if you Google "nissan S13 S14 rear caliper comparison" you will see other websites that explore this exact issue.

Because HybridZ doesn't always have the answer I want I have joined other car websites such as for Toyota, 240SX, Nissan as well as other Z sites.

When all else fails, I go to pick and pull and buy the part in question to use in mocking up and test fitting.

Perhaps if you work up a solution to your S14/S13 issue you would post a tutorial on how you solved the problem.

After a quick google search, I found this

http://www.240sxforums.com/forums/s13-240sx-89-94/100027-s13-s14-rear-caliper-same.html

"the calipers are the same, the bracket for the ebrake is different"

"The brake hose fittings are the same but the S13 calipers have a 35mm piston and the S14 calipers have a 38mm piston. The e-brake cable holders won't swap because the bolts holes are cast in a different location. You can put the s13 e-brake actuator lever on the S14 caliper but you'll have to bend it up a little to clear the S14 cable holder. They use the same pads."

Suggestion: go to  pick and pull and buy a set of S13 and a set of S14 calipers and check to see what parts will swap so the S14 caliper E brake will hook up like a S13 caliper.

Mount the caliper on the car and move the suspension through full travel to see if the E bracket hits the frame or brake hose et.

Use the calipers as cores.

As can be seen in the picture below the S 14 uses a different e brake cable attachment than the S13.

post-178-0-57996100-1462489063_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately the only junk yard here only has 1 S13 that's been picked clean. I'll have to buy new calipers. I did find that one thread that discussed the swapping of the ebrake lever. Thanks for helping