HybridZ

Carbon Sunroof Delete

miky360

Very cool looking!  I would be interested to know where you got it as well.  I have a sunroof unfortunately, and though it is not leaking now, I would eventually like to get rid of it before it causes issues.

Cool, thanks!  Definitely keep us updated on the install.  I would really like to see how it turns out.  I assume they will be removing the old metal skin and bonding the new CF one to the roof frame?

Yup. Also, the way the CF roof was designed, it hides under the windshield mouldings. So there'll be some extra support from that PLUS the bonding. Body shop said they'll be done by the end of the month. Pretty nervous as the roof is VERY fragile. I stopped by the garbage disposal place today and had my old sunroof and excess metal weighed. Total weight was 22lbs. So with this roof I'll be saving a total of about 13lbs. Just an FYI. 

• 5 weeks later...

I got it back a couple weeks ago and been meaning to take better pictures as the work wasn't up to par unfortunately. The body shop just slapped it on so it looks like a cap. Initially what was discussed was to cut out the exact tracing of the roof to make it flush with the rest of the body. I'll take detailed photos of where I have to finish off the work and blend the rest into the car. The epoxy seems to be chipping off also so I'm going to have to redo some areas with resin.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah, that is a bummer.  Hope it works out for you though.  I think you should be able to blend it in no problem as long as you feather it far enough down (looks like you are already getting good results).  Are you planning on painting over it entirely, or were you planing to just paint over the first few inches of the roof panel, and then clear over everything (so the CF is still visible)?

I also wonder how they went about capping the old skin with the new one.  In my mind, I would think the CF roof would be built to the same dimensions as the metal roof.  So I would think it would have taken quite a bit of effort to get it to "clip" over top of the old roof (especially up front).  I would have worried about some amount of deformation as a result.  How does it look up front along the windshield? 

Yeah I'm going to have to remove the chrome drains in order to get a cleaner finish. The windsheild bulges out a bit also. Luckily I'm in need of a new windsheild so I'm gonna trim off the edge so it doesn't sit inside the rubber seal and causes the bulge. Ideally I would like to eventually paint over all of the CF once I got my RetroSpec front end in. There's about 3 inches left of the original roof that they used to adhere it on. I have no roof liner at the moment so you can somewhat see where it was vut