HybridZ

Ford 8.8 IRS swap v2.0

spitsnaugle

Are you making a suspension upright too? I think that is the main thing to make the swap easy/cheap. 

Nope. My (re)design is avoiding interference the rear uprights. 

Is team z going to be supplying these? I'm about 3.5 hours from them and have a ton of their parts on my mustang. Good company who make great suspension for mustangs.

Answer and update:

Answer: likely not, since they dont have my car do their own engineering and testing for it.

Update:  I have a single run quote that they're working on right now for my test fit on my car,  then they're pricing me making 10 vs 20 sets.   Getting a little agitated getting direct answers in a timely mannor, I keep dealing with Sherri (wife of the owner and sales manager), I should really be talking directly with Dave the owner. 

Edited by spitsnaugle

Update:  I have a single run quote that they're working on right now for my test fit on my car,  then they're pricing me making 10 vs 20 sets.   Getting a little agitated getting direct answers in a timely mannor, I keep dealing with Sherri (wife of the owner and sales manager), I should really be talking directly with Dave the owner. 

Agreed. Owners name is Dave. He is best to deal with. They are always slow answering emais and returning calls. Please let me know if your require a deposit for a kit.

I tried adding you on facebook. Heres my page. https://www.facebook.com/Merrill.Ryan

PM'd you Spitz

PM replied. Measure for fuel cell at your stock dimensions, my diff swap will make no major difference there. 

Agreed. Owners name is Dave. He is best to deal with. They are always slow answering emais and returning calls. Please let me know if your require a deposit for a kit.

I tried adding you on facebook. Heres my page. https://www.facebook.com/Merrill.Ryan

Sorry I dont add folks on FB unless I've met them. 

Thanks for picking up where Will left off.  I'm subscribed and definitely interested in the mount.  

I was planning on heading to the junk yard to pick up an explorer 8.8 diff and wanted to know how to easily identify the diff.  Information on the diff is posted on the sticker on the door pillar (http://www.explorerforum.com/ntrprize/Axle.htm) under the "Axle" category.  

Explorer

43 Open 3200 3.08 
41 Open 3200 3.27 
42 Open 4.10 
46 Open 3.73 
45 Open 3200 3.55 
D4 Limited Slip 3200 3.73 
D2 Limited Slip 4.10 
L73 Limited Slip 3.73

Here's an example of a D4 unit with the 3.73 Limited Slip:

IMG_2783.jpg

I hope this is helpful.

Shawn

Thanks for picking up where Will left off.  I'm subscribed and definitely interested in the mount.  

I was planning on heading to the junk yard to pick up an explorer 8.8 diff and wanted to know how to easily identify the diff.  Information on the diff is posted on the sticker on the door pillar (http://www.explorerforum.com/ntrprize/Axle.htm) under the "Axle" category.  

I hope this is helpful.

Shawn

Perhaps more reliably: theres is usually stamped metal tag on the rear cover (of most) ford 8.8 diffs.   Mine had 3L73 stamped on it, which translated to 3.73 limited slip. 

Edited by spitsnaugle

I have one of Will's kits and was going to sell it a while back. Ended up keeping it and I'm glad I did because it is a great kit. I run a small company that already allows for me to be full time in the shop and I have tossed around with my fabricator the idea of producing more of these kits, exactly like Will's to allow for guys to swap the 8.8 into the S30. I realize there are more options now for guys then when I bought my from Will. 

From reading your thread it looks like you are heading down a little different direction with the design of your swap, if you are investing the capital into the engineering and manufacturing of this kit I give you my full tip of the hat, if you just wish you could get your hands on a kit like Will's I'd love to hear from you or anyone.

I am just testing the waters here but "if" I could produce the exact same kit for around the same price as Will's (1500) in a reasonable timeframe would anyone be interested in purchasing them? 

PM me or reply on this thread with your thoughts...

Ladams, I'm definitely in the market.  If Spitz makes a "production" run of his kit, I am in.  That said, I think anyone who makes a durable, straightforward 8.8 kit won't have a problem selling them.  Zcar is the only one providing kits right now (that I'm aware of), and the website shows Out Of Stock.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Because they're niche markets of niche markets.

Realistically, lets say he does get these created (hopefully he does), how many is he going to sell?

That's a lot of time spent creating something to not make a ton of money off of.

It would be one thing if there was no other solution out there, but there are other diff/lsd/cv axle solutions out there.

Because they're niche markets of niche markets.

Realistically, lets say he does get these created (hopefully he does), how many is he going to sell?

That's a lot of time spent creating something to not make a ton of money off of.

It would be one thing if there was no other solution out there, but there are other diff/lsd/cv axle solutions out there.

I understand the process very well (Machine shop and fab shop owner for almost 40 years). I just don't understand why automotive fab shops can't do work in a timely manner. Real machine shops give timely quotes and make deliveries on time, or perish.

My guess would be outsourcing to the lowest bid.

Unless a shop has drill presses and mills and stuff in house and a skilled welder chances are they are outsourcing. At small volume, a lot of jobs get pushed to off peak seasons. I read about one shop that had one place fold the frames, another weld it, and the last one drill the holes and slots. Last shop screwed the pooch on the slots and holes and they had to start from scratch.