HybridZ

Ford 8.8 IRS swap v2.0

spitsnaugle

I'm still around.   STILL WAITING ON teamzmotorsports.net

I've gone ahead and found another supplier for the CNC bushing mounts, here in Ohio, and at half the cost as team Z. However their flat plate cutting and powder coating was the best quote I had.

I'd be happy to quote the parts for you.

RonA

So I been messing with mounting the 8.8, thought u may like to know of an easier/cheaper way of doing this. Just make the flat uprights and drill some holes in them then weld a cheap bushing. Similar to what Sunnyz did. The diff will be about an inch more forward than ideal before the cover hits the stock uprights, and this is made worse with the sandwich mount as it moves the diff forward by the thickness if the plate as well.

So if you can CNC the uprights with the holes in the right spots, and weld bushing in you'd achieve a easier better mount and can eliminate the moustache bar. Would be easier to manufacture too

Edited by zboi

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

any updates?

Just picked up the flat plate today from the plasma cutter. I had to run my drill press to clean up the bolt holes, but otherwise its a perfect fit so far.  

I hope to get it bolted in this weekend to finish my front mount this upcoming week or two. 

RV4GqVF.jpguJ3Jx0Q.jpg

jUokS04.jpg ho4M9sa.jpg

*Also thats my wife's classic mini cooper in the background, I just had it imported this April. 

Edited by spitsnaugle

I see a Morris Mini lurking in the background.

Its the wife's new car!  RHD Rover Mini. Imported from Japan, rust free and only 28000km on the odometer.  Picked it up for her on our 6 year anniversary, the "traditional" 6 year present is iron... so i went for old iron :)

zYtjte9.jpg

Edited by spitsnaugle

I'm sure you already thought of this spitz, but make sure to weigh everything, one of the good marketing points for yours will be if lighter or very close to the weight of the zcar one.

What do you plan on using for cover bolts through this plate?  Bolts will be in double shear which if i remember my engineering school at all, is preferable.  

However, I still don't see how this will stay sealed.  The first blast off the line won't the bead of RTV touching the smooth surface of the sandwiched plate just tear apart - allowing fluid to leak through (granted it won't be a lot because it shouldnt be under any major pressure ever, but still will leak?  Or am I just overthinking it and RTV will be able to handle the stretch)

And my apologies again, but did you already show your plans for the front mount?  For this plate to work, the front mount will have to be bullet proof, correct?

However, I still don't see how this will stay sealed.  The first blast off the line won't the bead of RTV touching the smooth surface of the sandwiched plate just tear apart - allowing fluid to leak through (granted it won't be a lot because it shouldnt be under any major pressure ever, but still will leak?  Or am I just overthinking it and RTV will be able to handle the stretch)

And my apologies again, but did you already show your plans for the front mount?  For this plate to work, the front mount will have to be bullet proof, correct?

Rough drawing of the Front mount is post 37 in this thread http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/125328-ford-88-irs-swap-v20/?p=1184915

I've already made some changes to it, but that'll be pretty close to it. 

I was unsure about the sandwiched plate as well, but after talking to the owner at SelfMadeFab he said its something they've done previously without issue.