HybridZ

Ford 8.8 IRS swap v2.0

spitsnaugle

Agreed.  I used a TTT front mount and I know it moves.  

Spitsnaugle, keep working,  A better front mount is essential.

If the design pictured used longer bolts with spacers to use the suspension mounts that would be a great start.  Remove 4 bolts, put in longer ones that support the front and it could be a good design.  Thinking out loud.  Thanks for all the work  Richard. 

Edited by Richard Oben

On 1/8/2018 at 9:40 PM, seattlejester said:

That design would work, although it would make pulling just the suspension require dropping the diff as well or leave it hanging on just the rear mounts. Doesn't happen often, but could be troublesome if you had a stuck spindle pin and wanted to change shocks or if you were using the differential as the jacking point (that's happened before).

FWIW, under it's own weight and with the mustache bar from Wfritts kit, my 8.8 really doesn't move just supported by the two rear bolts.

I don't think it would be a big deal if you had the above linked setup and dropped it to remove the control arms.  You could always just quick re-install it after dropping them.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey Spitz,

Just watched Motor Trend's Roadkill Extra that went up 21hrs ago on the Rotsun and they said they broke the inner stub and were thinking about doing IRS swap.

Maybe reach out to David Freiburger with Roadkill and they can help with some of the cost?

Just an idea.

Edited by DeathByNissan55

• 3 weeks later...

I've given all of my measurements and designs to Austin Hoke, he's a bit backed up with working on his house, and he and his wife just had their second child.

But on sad note, I've actually given up on my Z car. I havent had it running in 4 years, I keep finding other things to fill my time.  I'm pulling the engine soon to sell the rolling chassis. 

Well F......if youre giving up on the Z are you still going to be able to make this kit.

I have someone I can put you in contact with if you don't want your design to go to waste, he might even be willing to buy it from you, I don't know as I can't speak for him.  But I know he's a smart engineer and I believe his products speak for itself.

Hes actually the owner of Apex Engineered.

Let me know on Facebook if you're interested.

Otherwise I know of another guy on here that is taking a different a approach but still interesting that might benefit from what you've put together so far.

Just let me know.

By the way, my car hasn't been together for longer than that lol don't use that as an excuse.  You just gotta pull the trigger and throw some money and time at it.

31 minutes ago, spitsnaugle said:

I've given all of my measurements and designs to Austin Hoke, he's a bit backed up with working on his house, and he and his wife just had their second child.

But on sad note, I've actually given up on my Z car. I havent had it running in 4 years, I keep finding other things to fill my time.  I'm pulling the engine soon to sell the rolling chassis. 

Spits, I'm really sad to hear your giving up on the Z because of the time frame. Personally I am going on 11 years of not driving the car. I have been slowly building my dream Z and have been down on it many times, but time goes by and funds recuperate then progress happens. 

Funny enough, I just bought a 350Z mount from Austin the beginning of this week and I also sent him a link to this thread just trying to see if it would spark some interest with him. I wasn't sure if you were going to see this all the way through and my body/paint guy won't do anymore work until I have the rear end components on the car.

I might have my local fabrication guy interested in this as another possibility. He is very qualified, (worked on many 510 builds for Les Cannady and Adam Corrola) and very punctual and efficient.

Thank you for what you have taken on, enhanced upon and done in general as your time, effort and communication sharing with us all is very much appreciated. I really hope you reconsider keeping the car, but I understand if timing just isn't right for now.

• 3 weeks later...

Austin has all of the designs and measurements I have, 

I'll reach back out to see if he's interested in finishing it without me. If not, I'd be interested in letting my parts and designs/measurements go for a very reasonable sum. 

I'll be posting a rather lengthy rolling chassis for sale / part-out thread later tonight or some evening this week. 

• 3 months later...

I'm still working on this. It's a slow process. Update: We have installed all the parts and it all fits perfect. I can't buy a gland nut, so we are going to make a custom gland nut. Then we can actually test drive the car/ rear end kit. Here's a few pics of what we have so far. I have no time estimate. Or price, but my goal is to make the price lower than any other similar kit. 

imagejpeg_0(6).jpg

Resized_20180725_171128_1643.jpeg

imagejpeg_2(2).jpg

imagejpeg_1(2).jpg

Resized_20180725_171134_1085.jpeg