Jump to content
HybridZ

Recommended Posts

Overview:

I was inspired to make my own body pan after seeing a combination body pan/splitter on the "Datsun Parts and Needs" Facebook page. I like the stock look so I wasn't interested in the splitter part. Due to this my body pan is  plastic instead of the aluminum. Looking back I could have probably got away with aluminum due to the fact that the body mounting as a lot more level than I expected. Note this was used with a MSA Type 1 style Air Dam. Front measurements my vary depending on what other air dams you use. 

 

Parts List and Prices:

 

Polyethelylene Plastic Sheet (Black) .080 48"x60" - Online Metal Supply - $25

AAF-ALL18548-10 Threaded Nut Insert (Needed to Mount to Bumper) - Summit Racing - $21.99

1/2" Steel Conduit (Needed to make spacers)

 

Belmetric.com:

4x WSI10SS Internal Star Washer

6x WFE10X30SS Fender Washer SS

2x M10 Bolts and Fender Washers (Not Stainless)

 

McMaster-Carr:

2x 25mm M10 Stainless Bolt

2x 70MM M10 Stainless Bolt

10x 18-8 Stainless Steel Button-Head Socket Cap Bolts, 1/4"-20, 5/8" Long

 

 

The Process:

 

My First step was to cut the conduit to the the length needed to make it level with the bottom of the air dam and the cross-member. Once it's cut, weld it up to the end of the front frame rails. Now sure what originally went in these holes but they are perfect. Then I took the two non-stainless washers and nuts and welded them into the round holes in the cross-member (There are four holes in the bottom of the cross-member, the nuts are welded onto the outermost holes on each side). I now had 4-points to mount my belly-pan.

IMG_9317.JPG

 

Now I had to make a cardboard template and cut it to make sure everything lined up.  I used a awl to find my two mounting holes on my cross-member, and the two mounting holes where the spacers are now at. I also had to place a hold where my radiator drain is at. (Here is my template with the dimensions).

 

IMG_9899.JPG

IMG_9900.JPG

 

IMG_9335.JPG

IMG_9334.JPG

 

Next I transferred this onto the plastic and cut it out:

Note that I did not cut the entire wheel well area out. I left the "flaps" because I read that rolling the belly pan itself up into the wheel well would help with aero.

IMG_9385.JPG

 

Unfortunately, I didn't read or account for this before I marked out out and took the measurements on my template. I have added this photo showing that it is possible given the improved measurements. I don't know if this would be possible if you choose to use aluminum.

IMG_9381.JPG

IMG_9382.JPG

IMG_9383.JPG

 

After I have the initial part cut I did a quick fitment test: (Notice that I cut part of it too narrow around the front a-arms. I welded some more back on at a later point.)

IMG_9387.JPG

 

Next, I removed the bumper and slid the body pan up into the position where it would sit inside the lip of the bumper itself. I then took a drill and drilled the 1/4" holes necessary to put the thread inserts in. The thread insert flanges need to be trimmed down due to how shallow the bumper lip is:

IMG_9394.JPG

 

Inserts Installed and Body Pan mounted. Just waiting on front bumper:

IMG_9392.JPG

IMG_9393.JPG

 

Don't really have a good photo of the finished product. If I ever get the car on the lift I will add a photo. It pretty much looks just like the mock-up photo above except with button cap screws on the bumper.

 

Hope everyone enjoys, and feel free to ask any and all questions.

 

Edited by mr_han_solo
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...