HybridZ

Clutch Issue

cdl1542

Hi all,

My clutch won't engage or disengage and I can't seem to figure out the issue. It's a 280zx 5 speed transmission, dual center force clutch, has the 280zx slave cylinder as well. Lines are bled properly, new slave cylinder installed and bled. It seems as thought the slave cylinder will not move the fork which is leading me to think its the throw out bearing but I would appreciate any insight on the topic. Thanks!

Chris

have you tried removing (like unbolt and move it aside) the slave cyl and engaging/disengaging the clutch by hand with an assistant that tries to shift gears at the same time?

it might be hard (should be really, with a new clutch plate) but if you can disengage teh clutch, shift and re-engage the clutch manually, then that might indicate that that part is working.

also, doing that, you might be able to have someone gently press the clutch to see the slave cylinder's action.  I don't knwo how it's supposed to work, but I'd go gentle to make certain you don't shoot the piston right out of there.  

not much of a solution, but it might help you figure out where the problem lies.

My clutch won't engage or disengage

You have to pick one.  The only way to fit your words is that the clutch is in a state of constant slippage.

Is this a new problem on a system that was working fine?  Or is it a bunch of new parts that aren't working right?

You have to pick one.  The only way to fit your words is that the clutch is in a state of constant slippage.

Is this a new problem on a system that was working fine?  Or is it a bunch of new parts that aren't working right?

The best way I can put it is that I can shift through the gears when the car is off, but the clutch pedal doesn't seem to be doing anything. It's not a new problem from a working system, it's new parts together that don't want to work.

Search "wrong clutch collar" or "wrong TOB" or "transmission grinds" or "92 mm" and you'll figure it out.  Did you match the TOB collar to the pressure plate?  That's the most important act when installing a new clutch.