HybridZ

Switching to fiberglass or repair steel ?

Josch034

I picked up a 1978 datsun 280z last year for $450 I kind of just jumped on it because of the price and how it had everything there. With work and my wife having a baby I haven't been able to touch it until recently. As I started working on it I've noticed a few things.. Floor pans are rusted .. Passenger side is gone completely so I've decided to purchase the floor pans from zedd findings with the frame rails ( passenger side is toast) also my passenger side door has 2 rust holes were I am assuming the guy put mirrors on it then took it off leaving the holes open to everything and it rusted pretty good. The next part is the rear bumper area which doesn't look to stable especially where the exhaust comes out and the last bit of rust that I have is the passenger side fender at the bottom. I've been looking at places like rhdjapan which sells the fiberglass replacement parts for these and also retro-spec who also sells fiberglass parts. My questions is I know regardless of which path I take I know it'll cost money but just wondering what your guys opinions are on this ? Should I keep these parts metal and send it to a shop to get fixed up ? Or should I replace these parts with fiberglass ? Car will just be a weekend fun car that I'll occasionally take to meets. It's pretty hard finding anyone in Louisiana who does restoration on vehicles so that's another factor I'll have to consider.. Any advice or past experiences are appreciated.. I've got the motor up and moving now just got to get the car in a drivable state!

Keep which parts metal? You listed several problem areas. The floors need to be repaired with metal. I don't know how badly your door is rusted, but I would either cut and weld the rusty metal, or buy another door that is in good condition. As for the rear bumper area, I'm guessing you mean the body work on the car, not the bumper itself. Again, cut out the rust metal, weld in new metal. IMO welding in new metal is the only acceptable way to fix rust, especially on the chassis.

If I were to replace with fiberglass it would be

Fenders

Rear bumper that goes below the big bumper.

Hood

Headlight buckets.

I'll either do this or try to find a shop that can do cut and weld in new metal. I've been asking around and most places won't touch it they only want insurance jobs from accidents. I found one shop but the guys price is around 100$ a hour and I think that's probably a little on the high end.

Fiberglass parts (especially cheap/thin stuff) can possibly just be as many hours of work/prep as repairing the rust, and still be more expensive in the end.

I went FG hood, hatch, fenders, and bumper on my track-oriented restoration. The fenders were a cheap CL find and, by far, they were the worst to get straight (and they still didn't turn out perfect).

Just noticed that you'd be taking it to a shop to get the repairs. Honestly, if you're not willing to do this work yourself, I'd just accept the fact that you wasted $450 bucks and save up for a car that needs far less rust repair.

Or buy a welder and start youtube'n how-to vids...

Thanks for the info guys I've done a bit more looking around and I found a guy who has a shop that can do a complete restore on the car for 3500 including cutting and welding in new floor pans And frame rails as well as painting it after. I think I'll end up going that route instead of buying Fiberglass parts.

Right now in south Louisiana the economy is taking a huge hit from the oil prices so there have been tons of people who are just looking for work plus it happens to be a guy that's related to my good friend so I got s bit of sa deal. And will do! It's not to bad now but just the few spots of rust are killing it..

Ah, got ya. Rough.

As someone who has done floors and rails, I'd have to get about $2500 to do those alone. It's not a fun job...but maybe I'm just a pussy these days, haha. Make sure you poke your head in there unexpectedly and check on the quality of the work. Sometimes there's temptation to cut corners when the pay isn't up to par... 

Yea ! Thank god my job is a government one lol

And hell no ! I've seen videos and read up on the work that comes with the floor pans that's not a task just anyone can do and say it's easy lol I'm glad he's doing it instead of me lol.

Yea that's exactly what I've heard. The motors our so there won't be that temptation to drive it.. Had that done to me in my z32 guy drove it hit a pot hole and went off the road. Damaged the radiator somehow and acted like nothing happened lol.