HybridZ

Bummer reading these posts. I have my steering column and shaft cut up in pieces.

We had a 2003 BMW Z4 that had the "steering unit issue". BMW fixed it I read in 2005 or 2006. Only when it was hot outside 85-90 degrees. Driving along basically in a straight line and try to make the normal small correction if felt like the steering had a detent ball and you needed to overcome the force. I hope that makes sense. Is this similar to what you are experiencing?

When the outside temp is lower the steering worked perfectly. It was very annoying. Ruined the driving experience.

Dave

11 hours ago, davek said:

Bummer reading these posts. I have my steering column and shaft cut up in pieces.

We had a 2003 BMW Z4 that had the "steering unit issue". BMW fixed it I read in 2005 or 2006. Only when it was hot outside 85-90 degrees. Driving along basically in a straight line and try to make the normal small correction if felt like the steering had a detent ball and you needed to overcome the force. I hope that makes sense. Is this similar to what you are experiencing?

When the outside temp is lower the steering worked perfectly. It was very annoying. Ruined the driving experience.

Dave

I can only speak for myself but I don't believe they are the same problems,  in the last few posts we are talking about a brief time lag before the steering assist kicks in, your Z4 steering problem sounds like it would drive you crazy.

Sounds to me as though we are all talking about a similar phenomenon.  The power steering unit is there to reduce the amount of force needed to turn the wheels, but it must first detect some input from the driver before that reduction in force kicks in.  That is the momentary "lag" that is being mentioned, I think.  I found this not to be a problem when making larger steering corrections, as in negotiating a 90-degree purposeful turn at an intersection, of even a definitive turn on a back country road, or switchback.  In those cases, the "lag" was almost imperceptible, and the reduction in steering effort, particularly at lower speeds, was welcomed.  But, in the case of driving essentially in a straight line, when very minute corrections in steering are needed to keep the car between the lines, the correction seemed to always lag behind, and this encouraged me to over-correct my steering input, and actually overshoot the mark.  As a repetitive behavior, this became quite frustrating and distracting.

My daily driver right now is a 2017 Subaru BRZ, which, as many in the motoring world have noted, handles beautifully in almost all situations.  Its steering is very much power-assisted, too, but somehow this system does not impart any such annoying distractions, and minute over-corrections, while driving, at any speed, and on any road.  There must be something inherently different in the design of this system to achieve this result, and precision.  My assumption right now is that these various attempts at "add-on" power steering employ a different dynamic principle.

I know many systems reduce assist the faster you go. That could certainly have an impact on highway driving. The system basically should not assist much at higher speeds. 

I got the Yaris non-abs computer as this one uses a direct speed input and not can bus. Had hoped to play with tricking the speed ( over read my stock speed to reduce assistance faster, or maybe some variable curve). But all this driveability and feel complaints have got me wondering whether it’s worth the effort. Perhaps the heavy parking lot steering is just the cost of admission for an old car. 

30 minutes ago, socorob said:

I have the Bruno knob controller and Saturn steering box. When you 1st start the car, it takes a second or 2 to come on, but after that, I have never noticed anything weird feeling about it. I have it set really low.

This is good news to hear as I have the same at up, but won't be able to install for awhile.