HybridZ

327 v8 240z. Swap or build?

Hey guys, I am new to the forum here. I just got myself a 240z. It has a 327 v8 and a 4 speed. The car has a bunch of great suspension upgrades, but I am looking for a bit more power (in the 350 crank range). I am torn between building the 327, or going the 6.0 or 5.3 ls based truck engine route. I would like to spend around 3-3.5k on what I decide to do. Other recomendations are welcome. Just keep in mind that I will be driving this car daily with the occasional canyon run or track day. Thanks again guys.

A cammed junkyard 5.3 would surprise you, and be well below your budget. If you looked hard enough, you could probably piece together a turbo kit for it as well. There are articles and youtube videos showing a stock 5.3 getting a RELIABLE 500hp, and well beyond that for track use.

A cammed junkyard 5.3 would surprise you, and be well below your budget. If you looked hard enough, you could probably piece together a turbo kit for it as well. There are articles and youtube videos showing a stock 5.3 getting a RELIABLE 500hp, and well beyond that for track use.

the thing is, Im not an engine builder and taking it to a shop can be pretty pricey. Also, what model 5.3 would be best for this application considering how much power I want and my budget

If your goal is only 350 bhp I'd be surprised if you couldn't get that out of the motor that you have with intake/cam/exhaust. I expect my lightly cammed L33 5.3 (better heads, higher compression) to put down somewhere around 325 to the wheels.

SBC is dead, avoid it at all costs. Get any LS motor you can find, the main difference is aluminum or iron block, car or truck. Truck motors require a new oil pan and intake to fit in the car so that's about $400 added costs over the car motor.

Look here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LS_based_GM_small-block_engine

DOD engines require more money to swap the cam out. A 5.3 with an ls2,ls3,ls7,ls9 cam should put you at 400hp with nothing else done to it. These cams can be bought new around $125 from Chevy.

My first swap was a 5.3 LM7 which is essentially a smaller displacement iron ls1 block. I used the truck intake and it fit under the hood. The oil pan will definitely need to be changed though... You can grab entire running engines (~100k miles) from a junkyard for ~$500 depending on your area. Don't let high mileage 5.3's scare you, these things were built like beasts.

You might want to head over to the ls1tech forums, they have 5.3 builds all over the place.

As others have stated, a few bolt ons will get you somewhere between 350 to 400 and can be a reliable daily driver.

SBC is dead, avoid it at all costs. Get any LS motor you can find, the main difference is aluminum or iron block, car or truck. Truck motors require a new oil pan and intake to fit in the car so that's about $400 added costs over the car motor.

Look here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LS_based_GM_small-block_engine

DOD engines require more money to swap the cam out. A 5.3 with an ls2,ls3,ls7,ls9 cam should put you at 400hp with nothing else done to it. These cams can be bought new around $125 from Chevy

SBC is not dead, there are plenty of cheap parts out there and the most cost effective way to reach your goal is probably to use what you have. LS is an all around better platform no doubt, there is 30 years of improvements in the core design. But claiming SBC is dead is bit preposterous. Also consider the time and cost of rewiring and redoing your fuel system. There is a fair amount of expense in hard parts setting up for a LS. 

SBC is not dead, there are plenty of cheap parts out there and the most cost effective way to reach your goal is probably to use what you have. LS is an all around better platform no doubt, there is 30 years of improvements in the core design. But claiming SBC is dead is bit preposterous. Also consider the time and cost of rewiring and redoing your fuel system. There is a fair amount of expense in hard parts setting up for a LS. 

^^^This. With the modest goals the OP has, no need to redo the whole drivetrain.

I will be driving this car daily with the occasional canyon run or track day. 

Have you driven it yet?  Are you looking for power so you can say you have the number or do you know you really need it?  If you go with an LS engine you'll need a new engine mounting kit, plus a different transmission.  Probably blew your budget right there.  Daily driver, canyon runs and track days are three different things, I believe.  The suspension "upgrades", whatever they are, are probably more important for those things.

Take the individual comments with a grain of salt each.  Don't forget that it's crap comments that make a crap forum.

Wiring can be done with ~$20 worth of wires and relays and an evening with a wiring diagram from lt1swap.com. You can transfer the 4 speed over to the ls motor with a different flywheel (there are videos out there, i believe it was a jeep flywheel or something) and a custom bell housing. I think their are a couple truck motors with an elongated crankshaft, that is the only thing to pay attention to for the tranny swap. Otherwise fuel system is yes some work, but honestly not bad and a small price to pay to get EFI. Just run a return-less system and run a single line to the motor, the new fuel sending units have the regulator and all the tricky bits built into them. One added expense will be the tune for it, but that can be done by mail in tuners for ~$150. It took me a month to do my entire swap while working a full time job. I had a 350 SBC built to the max before I went LS, the LS was cheaper,had more hp ,durability, fuel mileage, everything. IMO any money spent on a SBC is money wasted that could and will eventually (SBC don't last to long) be put towards something much much better.

Edited by crapforum

My first swap was a 5.3 LM7 which is essentially a smaller displacement iron ls1 block. I used the truck intake and it fit under the hood. The oil pan will definitely need to be changed though... You can grab entire running engines (~100k miles) from a junkyard for ~$500 depending on your area. Don't let high mileage 5.3's scare you, these things were built like beasts.

You might want to head over to the ls1tech forums, they have 5.3 builds all over the place.

As others have stated, a few bolt ons will get you somewhere between 350 to 400 and can be a reliable daily driver.[/the car has full coilovers and race brakes along with full sway bars and poly bushings. I want more power, not just for numbers. If im not mistakes all I need is the 5.3, a t56, fbody ls1 accessories alpng with a different manifold. I dont see why this isn't possible for around the 3k range?]

You don't see why the costs are high or you don't know what the costs are?  A few clicks and calculations and I'm already at your budget.

About $500 - 1000 for the mounts, depending on what you get -

http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ESK-TM-LS-240Z-KIT

http://www.brokenkitty.com/zcar/order-sheet.htm

Over $3000 just for the T56, apparently - Everybody wants one.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/ls1-t56-transmission

https://www.google.com/#q=t56+transmission&tbm=shop 

Plus engine, exhaust system, modifications to it to make it fit the 240Z.

Plus nickel and dime parts.

These internet forums, in general, are full of people who just remember one number, like the cost of the engine, and ignore the rest.  Often from something they did ten years ago.  Make a quick list and show how you can get what you want for $3000.  Then you'll see and you'll have something tangible to talk about.  You haven't even got in to differential and axles yet, to handle the power.  Let alone body strengthening for the 240Z.

Put a short list together, with dollar figures.  It will be illuminating.  Many people spend $5000 just getting their stock 240Z or 280Z running right, over a year or two.  The small costs will eat up a budget.

Sorry Donovan, I was just making a point for the OP.  These swaps are expensive.  Your post is a good illustration from somebody who's done what the OP wants to do.  You probably spent much more than $7000.

You're the guy he wants to find though.  Already did the leg work, just bolt it in and play.  Good luck.

You don't see why the costs are high or you don't know what the costs are?  A few clicks and calculations and I'm already at your budget.

About $500 - 1000 for the mounts, depending on what you get -

http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ESK-TM-LS-240Z-KIT

http://www.brokenkitty.com/zcar/order-sheet.htm

Over $3000 just for the T56, apparently - Everybody wants one.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/ls1-t56-transmission

https://www.google.com/#q=t56+transmission&tbm=shop 

Plus engine, exhaust system, modifications to it to make it fit the 240Z.

Plus nickel and dime parts.

These internet forums, in general, are full of people who just remember one number, like the cost of the engine, and ignore the rest.  Often from something they did ten years ago.  Make a quick list and show how you can get what you want for $3000.  Then you'll see and you'll have something tangible to talk about.  You haven't even got in to differential and axles yet, to handle the power.  Let alone body strengthening for the 240Z.

Put a short list together, with dollar figures.  It will be illuminating.  Many people spend $5000 just getting their stock 240Z or 280Z running right, over a year or two.  The small costs will eat up a budget.[/i have the diff all beefed up with axels, I can get a t56 for 1500, engine for 6-800, accessories, pretty cheap, 400 for the engine and tranny mounts, 200 for a driveshaft (max). What else do I need?]