HybridZ

installing motor/transmission - lost my bolts

Ready to drop motor and transmission into 280.

Can't find bag of bolts to mount motor and transmission cross member.  Doh!

I can't seem to find a source that sells this hardware.

I need cross member bolts/nuts, nut to attach transmission to crossmember, and bolts to attach engine to engine mounts (isolator).

Does anyone know of a source to purchase the OEM correct parts?

Non-OEM but work?

Or better yet.  Do you know the size of these so I can purchase locally?

I've searched this forum.  I know the information is probably there already but for the life of me I can't find it.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Edited by Ctweber01

Clarity can be tough.  Nissan calls the transmission mount the rear engine mount.  Hard to tell which mount you're talking about.  Regardless, every item except the long bolt for the rear mount attachment to the body is in that link, with part number.  It shows the bolt but doesn't ID it.  Your Nissan dealer will have the number.

Good luck.

Can't find bag of bolts to mount motor and transmission cross member.  

I need cross member bolts/nuts, nut to attach transmission to crossmember, and bolts to attach engine to engine mounts (isolator).

My local Nissan dealer confirmed I could have those parts in two weeks.

So with the engine hanging from the hoist ready to drop in it is pretty frustrating to be stalled for two weeks by some missing hardware.

Hoping someone might be able to identify sizes for me to go buy. Nothing special about them me thinks.

Looks like I will take some measurements and see if I can find some stuff at Napa or elsewhere that will fit.

Thanks for your help so far.

The engine mount bolts are 8x1.25 long enough to pass through the mount and isolator. Do you isolators have captured nuts? If so you just need bolts long enough to thread into the nuts. Measure. If no captured nut, you need bolts long enough to pass through with nuts and locks. Note of caution here. If you bought generic engine mounts from flea-bay or similar, I've had them come with the captured nuts being 5/16 NC, not metric. Check carefully.

The trans cross member to body mount bolts are 12x1.25, long enough to pass through the two ears on the trans tunnel + a self locking nut and washer. Measure the ear spacing, its the price to pay for the info.

The single stud on the trans isolator that connects it to the cross member is 10 x 1... no wait, take the isolator to the hardware store and find a nut that fits. Another "learning opportunity".... you need a flat and lock washer as well.

ok, one more tip, since I'm being a d*ck today, As you balance the stack of nut/locker/flat on the tip of your finger and raise it slowly into the hole in crossmember, to get it started on the hidden stud in there, chant, "be one with the stud" over and over.... It helps, really.

Edited by z240

The two big bolts that hold the trans crossmember to the chassis are 12 x 1.25 x 80  with nuts to fit

The four bolts that hold the engine brackets to the rubber isolators in the front are 8 x 1.25 x 20,  should have captive nuts on the isolators

the one nut that holds the trans crossmember to the rear trans rubber isolator is 10 x 1.25

A good hardware store might have these, although 12 x 1.25 is sort of rare. You could substitute a 12 x 1.5 x 80 which is a (more common) coarser thread, because you need bolts and nuts anyway.

All sizes in MM.

Edited by Chris Duncan