HybridZ

front drive accessory kit

Hello all, 

in need of a front drive accessory kit, anyone have any recommendations? most of the kits i've seen are fairly pricey. I bought an lq9 longblock that didn't include any front drive accessories, looking for something that works but wont break the bank. These cars tend to suck up some major cash, especially with a swap, haha. 

Thanks in advance!

It's definitely tough to find accessory drives for a decent cost. The good news is all we need is the F-body:

-harmonic balancer

-water pump

-alternator

-tensioner

-custom-ish belt

Problem really is that most kits like to also delete the water pump, which doesn't fly for me. My build isn't for a race car so I don't want an electric one. I'm on a tight budget myself, so if I figure out a deal for accessories, I'll post back.

• 3 weeks later...

The F-body accessory drive is what everybody uses and is proven to work.

If you don't plan on junk yarding a lot of these parts, I would buy a Katech belt tensioner, especially if you plan boost down the road.  It is fail proof and stronger than the OEM one.  

The F-body alternators are cheap.  You'll need the large bracket and smaller rear bracket for this as well.  All sourced really easily.

The belt is easy to find or measure too.  The right size belt is buried in my build thread somewhere.  

Do you have a car and plan to build a swap?  Make sure to start a thread!

It's definitely tough to find accessory drives for a decent cost. The good news is all we need is the F-body:

-harmonic balancer
-water pump
-alternator
-tensioner
-custom-ish belt

Problem really is that most kits like to also delete the water pump, which doesn't fly for me. My build isn't for a race car so I don't want an electric one. I'm on a tight budget myself, so if I figure out a deal for accessories, I'll post back.

I had a bit of luck, my donor was a GTO, similar to a Camaro.  But I had parts that were damaged in the wreck.  Everything I needed was found on fee bay.  Be patient and the parts will turn up.  The hard part was figuring out what I needed.  Good luck.  Richard. 

im in the same boat, im looking to do the f-body alternator bracket ( lower drivers side) with the fbody tensioner (passengers side head) with out power steering. i'm sure its been done before, i'll be adding Johns Car's A/C bracket as well. 

With the low alternator, not sure how the belt will be ran to the water pump and harmonic balancer... ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

I meant to reply back in this thread my findings to help everyone.

Crank pulley: eBay 80$

Tensioner: Amazon 80$

Tensioner bolts: Ace hardware 6$

Alternator: 200+$ from AutoZone New not rebuilt

Water pump: Got mine on Craigslist for cheap but new ones only 100$

Water pump thermostat: AutoZone 30$ or cheaper on Amazon

Water pump Bolts: Amazon 15$ I think

Belt, pulley, remaining bolts and brackets ICT Billet around 150$

Total: A lot